Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like some help in selecting premium oil for my car, I would also if possible like an explanation of the different weights and what they do.. Thanks.

I own an Audi B5 S4 Seden,
2. I seem to have mis-placed my owners guide.. =[
I live in Connecticut.
4. I generally drive in the middle, not slow, not fast. With occasional WOT pulls, (So I would say leaning towards fast, Hard)
5.My daily drive with this is generally around town, and or down maybe 20 miles on the highway.
6. The car has no mechanical issues as of right now. I also felt the vehicle mileage would be relevent, it has 129,000 miles.

"The powertrain detail[3] of the B5 S4 features a 2.7 litre twin-turbo ('biturbo') 90° third-generation V6 engine (parts code prefix: 078, identification codes: AGB, AZB). Detail of the powerplant includes a cast iron cylinder block with two lightweight aluminium alloy cylinder heads. The valvetrain includes 30 valves (five valves per cylinder),[7][8] twin hybrid-driven (timing belt and roller chain) double overhead camshafts and variable valve timing for the inlet valves. The charged intake air is cooled with the aid of two side-mounted intercoolers (SMICs). It displaces 2,671 cubic centimetres (163.0 cu in), and is rated to produce a motive power output of 195 kilowatts (265 PS; 261 bhp) at 5,800 revolutions per minute (rpm), and generates 400 newton metres (295 ft·lbf) of torque at 1,850 rpm. Engine management was by way of a Bosch Motronic ME 7.1 (7.0 in North America) electronic engine control unit (ECU), and helped it meet the European EU-3D emissions standard. For a short time scale (08/98-12/98) in the North American market, the engine was slightly detuned to meet US emissions regulations, output was reduced to 187 kilowatts (254 PS; 251 bhp) and 350 newton metres (258 ft·lbf)" From wiki.

My car is also modified I would say power output is around 300-330 HP (At the crank, not wheel)

Thank you for any help.

What grade is stated on the oil cap? If it is a 40 weight, Mobil 1 0w-40 would be well suited.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
What grade is stated on the oil cap? If it is a 40 weight, Mobil 1 0w-40 would be well suited.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

It doesn't say. The first portion is in German =[ and what is in english just says to avoid damage to the catalytic converter, do not overfill.

However, I have seen on an audi forum that the two most popular are Mobil 1 0w-40 , and Castrol 5w-40. Then there are many other opinions, and someone finally said, just come to these forums, Lol. I don't know anything about oil, and what any of this means.. =\ Thanks.

Last edited:
They are right, those two oils you mentioned are bingo on. Take your pick. Did you just get this car? What have you been using? If you use the oils above you don't need to worry about much, the designers of the engine figured that part out. Good Luck!

Last edited:
I actually did just purchase the car, the oil seems fine at the present moment, but I wanted to switch it out, just for my peace of mind. I actually was just at Wal-Mart, and purchased Castrol Edge (With titanium)5w-30 ... I just read on a different thread that this is a cheapened product? is that true? I'm somewhat confused about multiple things. One is, if for mobil 1 I use 0w-40, why for castrol would I use 5w-30? And would I just be better off using mobil 1 0w-40? Can someone explain what exactly would happen if the oil wasn't proper..? I understand oil lubricates, and protects.. but I dont know what the symptoms would be if my car dislikes the oil I choose. Looking at the pre-purchse inspection, and records it seems the previous owner had the shop change his oil. The shops seemed to use different oil as well. I saw one that used (Sp?) Fuchs, and other shops using different oil..

Thank you for any help.

I have found my manual, the specifications in the book are as following : API Service SJ, ACEA A2 or ACEA A3. The engine oil in which was used factory SAE 0w-30. You can use this oil over all temperature ranges for normal driving. You can also use SAE 5w-30 or SAE 5w-40. So in addition to my previous questions, what would be the positives and negatives of each different spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back