Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 94 Toyota Land Cruiser with 175,000 miles. There were some maintenance records left in it and it seems like the oil was changed regularly. I've driven it about 1,500 miles so far and it doesn't seem to be burning any oil. This engine is pretty classic for developing a slow rear main leak. At this time, it does not seem to be doing that either.

I live in Alaska. I drive down to the lower 48 during the summer (about 6k miles round trip and a few thousand miles driving around). The rest of the time, the vehicle is stored in Anchorage and is driven every couple months. (Less than a thousand miles total). Obviously, it can get pretty cold in Anchorage.

I always use Toyota Factory oil filters.

In my past vehicles (all toyota 4x4s), I have used Mobil 1 syn. Any recommendations for oil for my driving/storage/temperature conditions? Should I consider an AutoRX treatment? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jason

I would keep using the mobil 1. I wouldn't use the autorx. Look down inside the oil filler cap. If it looks bad, just change the oil a little more often for the first couple of oil changes. It will get cleaned out in no time.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Continue using your Mobil 1 of choice and enjoy your Land Cruiser.

Couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
Originally Posted By: Johnny
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Continue using your Mobil 1 of choice and enjoy your Land Cruiser.

Couldn't have said it better.
+2.
01.gif

Pennzoil Plantinum has a ton of detergent too. I just got an F150 with 80,000 well cared for miles. My wifes Grandfather changed the oil religously at 3,000 miles everytime. When I got the truck, I put in PP just to clean out a little varnish left behind by the conventional PYB that his mechanic used. Very, very, little varnish in my case. He once went 3,900 miles on an oil change and was upset with himself. He was on a month long road trip and eventually had it changed at a truck stop. Like I said, very well cared for. On the next oil change, I'm switching to Mobil 1. I will run the Mobil 1 with a Motorcraft filter for the remainder of the truck's life and will never have to second guess the cleanliness of the engine.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
Pennzoil Plantinum has a ton of detergent too. I just got an F150 with 80,000 well cared for miles. My wifes Grandfather changed the oil religously at 3,000 miles everytime. When I got the truck, I put in PP just to clean out a little varnish left behind by the conventional PYB that his mechanic used. Very, very, little varnish in my case. He once went 3,900 miles on an oil change and was upset with himself. He was on a month long road trip and eventually had it changed at a truck stop. Like I said, very well cared for. On the next oil change, I'm switching to Mobil 1. I will run the Mobil 1 with a Motorcraft filter for the remainder of the truck's life and will never have to second guess the cleanliness of the engine.

I'd stick with the PP and pocket some additional cash. You'll have an oil as good or better than the Mobil 1
27.gif
. That's what I did in my 88 E-150. I ran Mobil 1 just about its entire life, made the change to PP in December and I'm not looking back. JMO

Either way good luck with the truck!

There's only a $2 difference between PP and Mobil 1 at Walmart. Hardly matters anymore. I'm switching to Mobil 1 because I saw one of the cleanest engines in my life when I changed my wife's friends oil. She has a TON of miles on it, same car she's had since high school. And she's only ever put Mobil 1 in it. Now, PP is very good. It's what I originally started to use in my truck. In fact, it's still in my truck. But, I have the Mobil 1 in the garage already to go for my next oil change and every oil change from there on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back