Oil Recommendation Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are lazy about the leak(s), a HM oil may help with the seals. Or you can continue using the same Chevron stuff, and accept that the car leaks a little oil/check oil levels frequently. Or, you can continue to use Chevron stuff, or HM, but have fixed the source of the leak(s) as well.

* I have an echo that leaks oil out of the the front main seal..Not horribly. Approx 230k miles I haven't switched to HM, or a thicker weight, but I'll continue to use reg 5w-30, but get the $7.00 seal to fix the leak, when I don't feel lazy about it, lol.

Last edited:
Sacrifice it upon the altar of 20w-50.
banana2.gif

Just kidding.

I would suggest doing what makes you feel best. There's no harm in swapping to high mileage oil (that I can think of), so you could always put that in there for an Oil Change Interval and see if it helps anything
21.gif
. If the car's had regular oil changes throughout its life, I see no harm in swapping to a synthetic blend/synthetic/synthetic high mileage oil. It just really depends on what you're looking for in terms of conditioning, cleaning, and how long you want the oil to last.

There always remains the altar of 20w-50, though.
20.gif

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
No reason to go down in viscosity, in fact that could make things worse in re the drip. At your age and mileage I'd say switching to a HiMi is prudent and won't hurt anything. (QS, Havoline and ST HiMi are all good options and come in a 10/30 that work just fine for a 3k mile oci) Of course trying to hunt down the source of the leak is advisable. Have you ever had the valve covers or pan gasket replaced?

Wouldn't most oil leakage occur once said oil has reached operating temp, since that's when it would be thinner - I mean, less viscous (lol)? I would think that oil leakage would be minimal at startup regardless of it's winter rating, since that's when it would be most thick. Unless you weren't referring to oil leakage at startup, that is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jtwrace
I got lambasted by @kschachn when I used the word "thicker" when responding to oil on this site.

If I recall correctly, my response was when you claimed that the viscosity of a multi-viscosity oil increased with increasing temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back