Oil recommendation needed for mail carrier Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hpb
With the constant stop start, it's the auto trans I'd be most concerned about. Engine really won't care too much.

Absolutely! I'd throw a big trans on there and use something like Dex VI

Originally Posted By: Burt
Mail carrier has a 740il? Hmmm....

Used to. A 2000. At about 100k everything started to fall apart and the parts cost and labor involved was too much.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
First thing, see if an oversized oil filter will fit. OEM is a 3387A, 3 and a third inches long. Oversize is 3980, just under 5 inches long ...

Second, use a better filter, Purolator PureOne, NAPA Gold, Fram Ultra, etc..,

Third, keep the tires inflated. I ignore the door, that is for ride comfort, not mileage. Also current tires can have a different speed rating than original ones, mine came with "Q" rated, I have "H" rated on now. Look on the sidewall for max inflation, go about 4-5 under that...

Fourth, full synthetic 5W-30 or 0W-30 Dexos 1 oil. I would use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Edge gold bottle.

Last, keep a vibration hour meter running in the car. Change oil / filter either by the OLM or by 200 hours on the meter.

Already investigated oversized filters. Need to check to make sure there is clearance. My concern is that given the rough terrain I sometimes have to drive across in the country, is that it will make contact with something and get damaged. I'm sure the motor mounts are not in the best shape.

I used to keep my tires inflated as you described, but again, with the ruts, potholes, rocks and curbs that I encounter with this car I'm not sure I want to keep them at a higher pressure.

Originally Posted By: hpb
With the constant stop start, it's the auto trans I'd be most concerned about. Engine really won't care too much.

This is a concern that I'm already investigating. This transmission needs a shift kit job. This is largely why I intend to use Lubegard. However, none of the Dex VI ATFs stand out which is why I was planning on using Amsoil. Lubegard has their own ATF that they say is Dex VI compatible but I haven't read many accounts from anyone using it.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 5-30 at 10K OCIs, and M1 ATF in the trans.

M1 ATF is the older, thicker Dexron-III type.

I think the OP's car requires Dexron VI. In that case, Maxlife may be a batter choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back