Oil recommendation needed for mail carrier Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Buick Lucerne 3.8L V6 (GM 3800 series III)

123,000 miles

Manual recommends 5W-30.

I bought this vehicle recently and haven't changed the oil in it yet. Being that it sees frequent, repeated acceleration followed by idling when I deliver mail, I figure I need a better than average quality oil. Transmission will get Amsoil and Lubegard, but I'm undecided on what motor oil to use.

Previous vehicle was a BMW E38 and I used Castrol Edge Titanium or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40.

On the BITOG forums I've seen a lot of comments stating that thr 3800 engine doesn't care what oil it gets. I understand it's not as important as for some motors, but this is my work vehicle and I want to get as many miles out of it as I can. It doesn't have any leaks and hasn't burned an appreciable amount of oil over the past 5,000 miles. I prefer synthetic, though I'm not sure I need high mileage formulations given that it has no issues and no leaks. I'm more looking for a durable oil, not performance or efficiency. I would just call it a day and put Amsoil in it but I put a lot of miles on this car and I can't argue with the price of Pennzoil or Castrol at Walmart.

Additive recommendations are welcome too. I used to use Liqui Moly Ceratec in my 740il.

Please provide data which demonstrates anything being superior for longevity than just following the OLM and using a dexos1 oil.

If you are using Amsoil signature series ATF do not add lubeguard it's unnecessary and will throw off the balance of additives in that product which is already heavily treated.

Lubeguard is designed to go well with a mineral based fluid like a dex/merc and is not necessary with a high quality synthetic or even DexronVI for that matter which is primarily a group 3 synthetic blend.

For oil I would recommend any synthetic 5w30, I'm partial to Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 even if it's not consuming oil using a high mileage can be preventive maintenance with additional seal conditioners, anti wear additives and detergents.

If you want the best oil filter you can buy locally grab a Fram Ultra
smile.gif

A long drain oil like Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 is probably a good choice.

That being said running it out and doing a UOA could probably be a good return on investment. If use dictates a 9K or 12K OCI, it could really save you time and $$

"Not caring what oil it uses" isn't the same as "Use any oil" for an application like this.

Last edited:
I was thinking along the lines of a mail delivery vehicle needing different oil than a commuter on the highway. Of the major brands, who has the best oil for this application? Would a thicker oil be advisable? I'm not concerned about efficiency and I've read that European and Australian markets had considerably different recommended weights.

Last edited:
You don't need a different oil because of the driving condition you just need a different OCI. Lots of short trip miles would benefit from more frequent changes.

The GM oil life monitor can easily account for your different driving style, so if you use a synthetic and change when the oil life monitor tells you that would already be over kill.

The top two synthetics if you ask me my opinion are Pennzoil and Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: JWFokker
I was thinking along the lines of a mail delivery vehicle needing different oil than a commuter on the highway.

That's what the OLM is for -- it'll determine a safe interval that's been adjusted for your usage.

Any 5w30 will do, and you can use the OLM to determine your OCI
smile.gif

For cars with an OLM, I like to use the cheapest synthetic on sale.

I was thinking along the lines of a mail delivery vehicle needing different oil than a commuter on the highway. Of the major brands, who has the best oil for this application? Would a thicker oil be advisable? I'm not concerned about efficiency and I've read that European and Australian markets had considerably different recommended weights.

I'd go for more hydrodynamic lubrication in those stop-start low-speed operations. Mobil1 0w-40 or Castrol Edge 0w-40 would give you a couple of the toughest spec motor oils around combined with a thicker oil film at low speeds with high torque cyclic loading conditions. They meet the Porsche A40 specifications. In a 10 year old Buick going slightly thicker is perfect.

Manual recommends 5W-30.

Forget that. Get you some full synthetic Citgo 10W-30. Fram XG3387A.

First thing, see if an oversized oil filter will fit. OEM is a 3387A, 3 and a third inches long. Oversize is 3980, just under 5 inches long ...

Second, use a better filter, Purolator PureOne, NAPA Gold, Fram Ultra, etc..,

Third, keep the tires inflated. I ignore the door, that is for ride comfort, not mileage. Also current tires can have a different speed rating than original ones, mine came with "Q" rated, I have "H" rated on now. Look on the sidewall for max inflation, go about 4-5 under that...

Fourth, full synthetic 5W-30 or 0W-30 Dexos 1 oil. I would use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Edge gold bottle.

Last, keep a vibration hour meter running in the car. Change oil / filter either by the OLM or by 200 hours on the meter.

Last edited:
Looks like this is not a Dexos required vehicle, so a mix of 5W-30 and 10W-30 could be considered....

North Carolina gets a little cold, one quart 10W-30 in the winter, and four in the summer...

i would use Pennzoil yellow bottle 5w30 with a Wix filter or a Fram ultra. As for the trans i have used valvoline max life for many trouble free miles.

Mobil 1 5W30, PP 5W30, PU 5W30, Havoline 5W30 synthetic, or any other SN dino or synthetic 5W30 should work fine in that engine. I prefer synthetic oil.

I wouldn't use Lubegard if I was using Amsoil ATF. I think you'd be taking away from the properties of the ATF.

As for motor oil, since delivering mail is basically stop and go driving, I'd use my favorite synthetic (or at least a good one).

3.8L is very easy on oil. I'd just use SuperTech 5W-30 dino and keep it topped off. Any cheap filter is fine, you won't wear out the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back