Oil recommendation for wife's 2016 Rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, warranty is almost up on my wife's Rogue and going to start doing the oil changes myself. We've been changing the oil at the dealer at their recommended 8000kms to please Nissan but I want to be able to extended the OCI on the Rogue with something better. The wife does mostly all highway for work, an hour each way, about 80 km each way. She does some short trips to bring the baby to day care etc but 90% highway. She runs average 35000kms a year. Looking for a good oil to run long OCI so we're not stuck changing oil steady like we do now at the dealer at 90 bucks a pop. She doesn't run it hard and does maybe 60-65 mph on the highway, no hardcore acceleration etc

If some of you can point me in the right direction will be great, thanks

Originally Posted by KoolG6
Looking for a good oil to run long OCI so we're not stuck changing oil steady like we do now at the dealer at 90 bucks a pop.
That is the perfect scenario to use Fram Ultra oil filters (20k miles tops), with Mobil1 Extended Performance oil (15k miles maximum), or Mobil1 Annual Protection (20k miles maximum). ... I'm not sure what is cheap to get in Canada though..... In the states, Mobil1 is cheap at Walmart anyway.
Another good alternative for a long-lasting, stay-in-the-sump-a-long-time oil is to go ahead and get a euro-spec (German spec) oil and run it to 20k miles, again with a Fram Ultra 20k mile oil filter.

That car is spec'ed to use a 0w20 HTHS 2.7 oil, so you can go for that weight in the premium Mobil1 line, or pick any Mercedes MB 229.71 or BMW LL-14FE+ oil to do that long run.
LiquiMoly has a 229.71 0w20 oil I think, and/or Mercedes dealership oil of course.
Another one to consider is Castrol Edge gold bottle 20k-mile oil, another good long-drain oil.

With long drains comes a big responsibility to check oil level at least once a month. Thats where others have gotten into trouble with long drain intervals.

Last edited:
You get choices of 0W20 or 5W30 in your owner's manual. I'd use PP in either of those weights, $22.68/5qts at WalMart, and a TG or XG 6607 filter for $6.99 or $8.99, respectively. Start off with manufacturer OCI and send a sample for UOA afterwards to see if/how much longer the oil can go, and then decide if you want to extend your OCI or not.

I would use PP 5W-30, on sale at times for $29 at CT for the 5L jug. Then use the online Pennzoil rebate at $10 per 5 liter jug.
10,000 km oil changes, with OE filter. Fram Ultra is a great filter, but I prefer changing the filter with each OCI.
Net cost about $35 an oil change.

With so much highway, if it were me I would run whatever synthetic CT has on sale at the time and run it about 12k kilometres. If the filter is easy to change I would just use a regular filter but it's it's tough to get to or something you can use a top end filter and change it every second time.

I can say that I use Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil 1 filter in my wife's 2017 Rogue in the states and go the suggested 7500 miles between oil changes with no issues at all to speak of. I have use their products in all of my rides and just sold a Titan and a C6 Vette both with 200k miles on them and both still ran great and did not burn oil with the same filters and cycles. Hard to beat a proven product and after the spring and fall rebate you end up with less than 40 bucks in each oil change.

I'm not sure what oil filter you're using, but the filter on my 2010 Murano is tiny. I found a suitable filter that is larger (taller) and should hold more contaminants for extended oil changes.

Welcome back after 8 years away from BITOG.

The 7317 Fram or Wix 57356 or Purolator 14610 would be the larger sizes that could be used. . Though better after warranty expires...

Mobil 1 5w30 is a great oil. You could choose Mobil 1 0w20 for winter time in a really cold climate
Mobil runs rebate specials twice a year
Buy the Mobil 1 oil and a quality filter and change it twice a year with the suggested oil grades

With your driving profile I would use Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 oil and a Fram Ultra oil filter. You will be good to run out to 15,000 Km/10,000 miles. 5w30 warm season and 0w20 if it gets really cold where you are. Ed

Originally Posted by toneydoc
Mobil 1 5w30 is a great oil. You could choose Mobil 1 0w20 for winter time in a really cold climate
Mobil runs rebate specials twice a year
Buy the Mobil 1 oil and a quality filter and change it twice a year with the suggested oil grades

M1 0-20EP or AFE are both great oils year round in any climate if you engine is spec'd for a 0-20. I have now put about 480K(miles) or this oil with great results in my last 3 engines at 10K OCIs.

Hey guys, warranty is almost up on my wife's Rogue and going to start doing the oil changes myself. We've been changing the oil at the dealer at their recommended 8000kms to please Nissan but I want to be able to extended the OCI on the Rogue with something better. The wife does mostly all highway for work, an hour each way, about 80 km each way. She does some short trips to bring the baby to day care etc but 90% highway. She runs average 35000kms a year. Looking for a good oil to run long OCI so we're not stuck changing oil steady like we do now at the dealer at 90 bucks a pop. She doesn't run it hard and does maybe 60-65 mph on the highway, no hardcore acceleration etc

If some of you can point me in the right direction will be great, thanks

If yours is the Ecotech engine and 0W20 oil, I'd change the oil every 9kms. There's been issues with this engine. Go search Nissan Rogue forums/messageboards, that pertain to your vehicle year and engine size.

Last edited:
Any major brand of 0w20 will run just fine in your Nissan. M1 is a good choice and Tig1 ‘s experience with Mobil oils is a great example. The EP is especially good with a high proportion of PAO base.

I have been using ST 0w20 and a Fram Ultra at every other service in my friends 2017 Rogue. Run it for about 6,000 miles.

90% highway means you can run it to annual oil changes, maximum 20k miles (32,000 kilometers). Saves time on oil changes, is the whole point.
If you do that, I do recommend the premium stuff. Castrol gold jug, M1 AP, or MB 229.71 oil, or BMW LL-14FE+, all 0w20 weight and considered the best.

I plan on changing it at least twice a year... We live in Atlantic Canada so it gets quite cold in our 6 month winters haha

I was thinking change fall and spring use a good filter like a Mobil 1 or Ultra Fram and I was looking at Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra 0w20.... Father in law is running ultra platinum 0w20 in his Tundra with the Toyota recommend 16,000km interval with the Toyota filter and I run UltraP in my Fusion EcoBoost 5w30 too about 10,000kms between changes.

How does everyone like the Ultra Pennzoil? Good/Bad? Mobil better?

I picked up some Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 and a Fram ultra filter
With highway miles, I think that oil can easily go 16,000 kilometers or 1 year whichever comes first. Good choice on the Ultra oil filter, the best around. Mobil1 AFE 0w20 is very good, I just prefer the higher PAO content in Mobil1 Extend Performance or Annual Protection premium types, and here in the U.S. the price difference isn't that much between AFE and EP/AP.

Watch your oil level! Don't be like a Cruise Ship and skip checking that once a month at least!
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5056083/1

Last edited:
I got a 4.7l jug and a 1 liter bottle for like 45 bucks... Oil was on sale at Walmart. Ultra filter on sale as well for 13 at Canadian Tire. This will be the final oil change under warranty so I'll get them to do it. Cost about the same but I can go to a longer OCI now. Going to look for a better oil next time on sale and buy a few jugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back