Oil Recommendation for Honda EU2000i Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Eddie
If HONDA spects 10w30 then I'd use Mobil 1 in 10w30. Ed

Grades as 10w30 or even 15w30 are hard to find where I live...they are reserved for agricultural use...for tractors/farm equipement...

I can find it online....but you can rarely buy less than 20L of oil...

But I can easily get 10w40 or 5w40 or 5w30 at any bakery
smile.gif

Should I sel my entire OPE equipement because HONDA & B&S said 10w30 ONLY?

Dont be funny
smile.gif
my OPE is runing happily on whatever in sae40 for 20+ yrs now...

Thanks.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
The owner's manual states either 30 grade, 10w-30, or 5w-30. SJ or later (which is pretty wide for the spec range). There have been a LOT of lube improvements since SJ.

Yep. I'm outside of the temperature range for 30 grade though.

I, too, don't understand how you can get all the other grades, but not 10w-30. But whatever ...

Me too (at the time). I'd looked at dozens and dozens of product listing for a number of manufacturers ... couldn't find a 10W-30 anywhere ... until ... (of all things) I found Honda 10W-30 at a marine dealer (and grabbed a couple of litres). So "problem solved" for now.

It sounds to me like this pretty much never gets used, and if it were used, it would only be for a temporary time perhaps up to several hours. In that case, frankly, the oil grade probably does not matter as long as you're "close to" the preferred spec. In fact, if it does not get too cold there, why not just use a mono-30 grade if you cannot get multi-grade 10w-30? The only real risk with a thinner lube is that may experience some volatility a tiny fraction more than a thicker lube, but frankly if the unit is only going to run infrequently, you'll end up changing oil long before the LOS function would intervene anyway.

We just don't know. It's only got 36 hours on it to date -- but it was only a few years ago that we had some massive earthquakes; many were without power for many weeks. I'm trying to be prepared for these types of things. By my way of thinking (right or wrong) there's probably one oil type/grade that'll provide the best protection - whilst others may "do the job", I fear accelerated wear if I get the wrong one. I'm pretty familiar with 15W50 that's used in my motorbike and I was quite surprised at how different the 10W30 was when I put it into the first generator. And that's my problem; I get so much conflicting advice, and I don't know enough to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Side note: How old is your genny? If it's older, have you changed the timing belt? That's probably a far greater risk of stopping your Honda than what oil grade you choose. The timing belt in these units is a wet-belt design. Age and oil impregnation are an issue with this design.

It's exactly 10 years old. No - I've never looked or thought about the timing belt. I've found YouTube videos on changing them, but nothing on recommended change interval (including the manual) what are your thoughts on the interval (I'd have to send it away to be done -- too old for that kind of project).

Thanks everyone (again) - I appreciate your responses. In the end I "lucked in" and actually found some genuine Honda 10W30 - so I've grabbed a couple of litres of that.

It's been an interesting exercise - and I've learned a lot more about oils in the meantime.

Thanks again.

Out of your choices it would be 0w-40 or 5w-50.
The 5w-50 would be my first choice.

My experience is generators like heavy weight oils. I run sae30/40, 15w-40/50, 20w-50.
Planning a generac at the parents, it will see RP sae40/50. But I will have 24/7/365 heat(light bulb), so a syn 40/50 will be prime.

Harvey

Originally Posted by bithebay87
Out of your choices it would be 0w-40 or 5w-50.
The 5w-50 would be my first choice.

My experience is generators like heavy weight oils. I run sae30/40, 15w-40/50, 20w-50.
Planning a generac at the parents, it will see RP sae40/50. But I will have 24/7/365 heat(light bulb), so a syn 40/50 will be prime.

Harvey

Depends on location, my Generac needs to start at -30 F at my camp in winter 4 hrs away so it gets 0-30 synth. . All time record summer high is 93 F where it lives. Trying to pull start a 10 hp briggs gen. at -25 f up there with 5-30w in it was a exercise in lifting it off the ground by the recoil. 0w cured that issue. I wouldn't go below 5w bottom number unless sub zero starts are needed myself.

The Honda brand 10W30 is fine.

I run 15W40 in all my pressure washers and generators. It's robust, has good shear numbers, it's cheap, and the engine needs nothing more, and nothing less. You could spend $15 per quart on expensive synthetic, but it won't be an improvement over 15W40 (assuming mild temps and no arctic starts)

smile.gif
but but but....Mr. Honda said that engine can explode if he wont be using sae30 oil in his generator in 2020...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back