Oil Recommendation for Ecoboosted truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BeerCan
I am using castrol edge 0w-30 or 0w-40

Using a high HTHS oil like that is a good thing in the presence of fuel dilution. Ford could deny you warranty coverage since you're not using the correct oil, but we know you're right using 0w40 with dilution happening, leaving you plenty of room for viscosity to drop a little.

If fuel dilution is occurring, then go ahead and use a warranty-supporting standard M1 5w30, but leave room for 1 quart of M1 V-Twin 20w-50 oil (very high HTHS boost) you add. That way, show receipts for the standard M1 5w30 if a warranty engine issue happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EcoboostedPete
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Since you used to use Amsoil but didn't get the max out of it, have you maybe considered the OE line? More than adequate for your planned OCI....I imagine it would do as well or better than the other choices listed (but grudgingly must admit the Castrol UOAs are very good)

Is the Amsoil a good oil for ecoboost engines? . I am leaning towards Magnatec, just wished there where some OE analysis on the synthetic blend Motorcraft 5w30 so I can compare the 2. The Magnatec is also a synthetic blend as the OE.

I haven't seen a UOA with any EB and Amsoil, and don't have a vehicle with boost so can't give personal information. However Amsoil's site does say OE (as well as XL and SS) are recommended for your vehicle.

There's a couple threads around here and other sites (I Googled them) with a similar question and the consensus is that any Amsoil would do the job, with the SS likely going a bit longer. Hey, give it a shot and run it to the OLM, leave it in and sample....it's at least THAT good.

I have access to Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend for under 3 bucks a quart, so I would really like to see some charts showing the "stats" on it. I mean before I pay for any other oil that may do Abit better only, make sense? I can definitely tell though, that most users don't have much trust on it due to the lack of tests with it showing how good/bad it is. I wonder if I keep my oil changes to 3k miles it should be ok, but honestly, if I pay Abit extra for better oil and causes less wear and tear to my engine, I'm down to buy it

Motorcraft 5W-30 is a solid oil, it's nothing amazing but it's a "ok" oil.
Just look at if it meets the specifications for the 2.7 EcoBoost, if it does i would use it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: BeerCan
I am using castrol edge 0w-30 or 0w-40

Using a high HTHS oil like that is a good thing in the presence of fuel dilution. Ford could deny you warranty coverage since you're not using the correct oil, but we know you're right using 0w40 with dilution happening, leaving you plenty of room for viscosity to drop a little.

If fuel dilution is occurring, then go ahead and use a warranty-supporting standard M1 5w30, but leave room for 1 quart of M1 V-Twin 20w-50 oil (very high HTHS boost) you add. That way, show receipts for the standard M1 5w30 if a warranty engine issue happens.

TBH I am not worried about not using the "correct" oil from Ford's perspective. I know that the chances of an oil related failure is slim and I will likely never have to prove I was using a certain oil. I drive a lot of hard miles and my plan seems to be working, and besides I was out of warranty for the truck in under 1 year. My drive train warranty is still good but I will be out of that in under 2 years. If I ever do need repairs they will most likely be out of pocket anyway. Truck has preformed great all things considered, except the brakes which I feel should be better but a pad upgrade might solve that problem.

Originally Posted By: EcoboostedPete
I have access to Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend for under 3 bucks a quart, so I would really like to see some charts showing the "stats" on it. I mean before I pay for any other oil that may do Abit better only, make sense? I can definitely tell though, that most users don't have much trust on it due to the lack of tests with it showing how good/bad it is. I wonder if I keep my oil changes to 3k miles it should be ok, but honestly, if I pay Abit extra for better oil and causes less wear and tear to my engine, I'm down to buy it

It's pretty safe to assume Ford tests their engines with their oil and adjusts their oil life monitor accordingly. There are plenty of high mileage EB engines out there that not only prove it's a good oil, but even the synthenic blend provides acceptable performance when changed only when the computer says so. I've read multiple posts on forums from guys with over 200k miles that say "meh, I change the oil when the light comes on."

I say use the MC blend for a year and then do an analysis. Post it here...that's how our data and knowledge grows!

Last edited:
I searched quite a bit on the web about the 2.7EB before picking up mine. I also checked everywhere I could find on used oil analysis for this engine as well. From what I've found Castrol magnatec is holding up well in the 2.7EB. The 2.7 doesn't seem to suffer the same fuel dilution as the early 3.5EB engines.

I'm still learning about my babyboost but I am leaning toward using 0W40 Castrol or Mobil 1 depending on whats on sale. I'm still using motorcraft oil filters and going between 5-6 thousand miles on oil changes. Some are going longer and it looks like the engine holds up well. I dropped my FF at around 1900 miles. I too doubt that any oil related damage could be claimed by Ford on this engine.

You have really short trips which is hard on engines in general, if it were me driving your route I would change every six months regardless of mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back