Oil Recommendation for 2013 Hyundai GenCoupe 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search can't seem to find anyone with this engine asking about what oil to run so here goes...

Because this 3.8 V6 is a direct injection motor I'm a bit more concerned about what oil to run in it.

I put less than 7500 miles/year on the car I had before the GenCoupe and expect that pattern to continue.

I do about a 70/30 mixture of hwy/city driving and try not to make too many short trips but that's not always possible.

After reading a lot of other forum posts I was thinking 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra but I guess it's getting a bit more difficult to find so if you have other suggestions (or think PU is a bad idea), then fire away!

PU is a good choice but IMO most of the top shelf synthetics will perform well.
IIRC doesn't Hyundai use QSUD OEM in this engine?

Ultra is a fine choice if you can find it.

My suggestion... Castrol Edge FST Ti (the stuff in the gold bottle). I'm running it in my wife's 2012 KIA and will have a UOA in a few weeks, you'll be hard pressed to find anything that runs quieter I will tell you that.

I'll agree that Ultra is fine, but almost any off-the-shelf synthetic would do well in that car. Since it's under warranty, make sure you select one that carries the appropriate certifications and viscosity.

Since you'll only do about 7500 miles per year, any shelf synthetic will do. No sense in spending more $$ than necessary.

M-1 5w30 would be my choice, unless your manual suggusts a 5w20.....and a 1 year. 7500 OCI should work perfectly.

Originally Posted By: dparm
What's the car spec'd for? Probably any API SM 5w30?

I have 2014 Kia Forte with a 2.0 Gas Direct Injection. The manual recommends SM/GF4 or higher, in 5W 20, 5W 30, and 10W 30. So a variety of oils to choose from.

I would find a oil that besides meeting the required api norm also has the vw 504.00 norm. It is vw requirement for there fsi/tfsi DI engines. And i therefore made to deal with the problems DI can make(soot on intake valves and oil film being washed off cyllinderwalls by injectors. Fuel in the oil and so on)

All vw 504.00/507.00 are 5w-30

Liqui moly toptec 4200 could be a good choise.

Last edited:
What's the car spec'd for? Probably any API SM 5w30?

"For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade SAE 5W-30 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4 / ACEA A5). If the API service SM engine oil is not available in your country, you are able to use API service SL, ILSAC GF-4, ACEA 3."

@Trav
The owner's manual says they "recommend" Quaker State with a footnote saying "Engine oils labeled Energy Conserving Oil are now available.". But nowhere does it say what actually comes in the car from the factory or what type of QS they recommend.

If the manual doesn't specify a synthetic, I would use any quality conventional in the grade and API spec for your temperature range, probably 5W-20 or 5W-30. Pennzoil, Quaker State, Havoline, Trop Artic - any of the readily-available brands in a low-cost flavor will serve you and your car very well. A synthetic really won't buy you anything but a lighter wallet in this application unless you extend the change interval, but you're not going to do that under warranty anyway, so just stick with the lower-cost option. For a direct-injected engine, would an API SN product provide any benefits over the API SM specified in the manual?

Originally Posted By: shDK
I would find a oil that besides meeting the required api norm also has the vw 504.00 norm. It is vw requirement for there fsi/tfsi DI engines. And i therefore made to deal with the problems DI can make(soot on intake valves and oil film being washed off cyllinderwalls by injectors. Fuel in the oil and so on)

Except that 504/507 are all "high-HTHS" oils meaning they are very thick 5w30s and a lot of 5w40s. Not necessary for his car.

Originally Posted By: shDK

Except that 504/507 are all "high-HTHS" oils meaning they are very thick 5w30s and a lot of 5w40s. Not necessary for his car.

All hyundais in Europe recomend 5w-30 engineoil. Necessary or not. It will still be a good choise.

I see that Amazon has 5w30 PU "European" and one of the reviewers mentioned that it met "VW 504 00 and VW 507 00".

Would that be a good choice? Is there anything in the European spec version that wouldn't be right for this car? There's some mention about it not being suitable for the type of fuel we have in the US.

Last edited:
Stick with an SN/GF-5 5w-30. If you're concerned at all about European specifications, at least while under warranty, stick with the ACEA A1/B1 A5/B5 types (which fall within your manual guidelines), rather than the A3/B3 A3/B4 types.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Stick with an SN/GF-5 5w-30. If you're concerned at all about European specifications, at least while under warranty, stick with the ACEA A1/B1 A5/B5 types (which fall within your manual guidelines), rather than the A3/B3 A3/B4 types.
+1. or possibly a "thicker" 5W-30 or a "moderately light" 5W-40 grade, specially if your manual states these grades for warm to hot weather conditions.

Originally Posted By: fpracha
Originally Posted By: Garak
+1. or possibly a "thicker" 5W-30 or a "moderately light" 5W-40 grade, specially if your manual states these grades for warm to hot weather conditions.

They do offer an option to go with a 10w30 and being in sunny CA there's no way I'd ever get close to the bottom of the recommended temp range for that one either.

Ok, so a Euro-spec oil doesn't seem to be a better choice so I'll stick with "domestic" stuff.

The way i see it. It is not a question about domestic (american) vs european spec oil.

With the known problems with DI engines. I woult till go for an oil made with those problems in mind.

Last edited:
OP, I made a post here asking what to run in the 13' 3.8 genesis coupe as well. When I posted, I was recommend pennzoil synthetics.

I am currently running 5w-30 Pennzoil Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back