Oil Recommendation for 2000 Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to the forum and have been reading up on all the threads but wanted to validate, or not, my decision.

I have a 2000 Chevy extended cab Z71 pickup that has 140k miles on it. I bought the truck in '01, with 10k on it, so have a complete maintenance history on it. It has had a Whipple SC kit on it since 65k, making 8 psi. The truck also has heads, cam, exhaust, diff, tranny, bigger injectors, etc, etc. No issues with the truck and it does not use or leak any oil at present. I have always used Mobil 1 10/40 but after reading up on this site I think I should probably change to 5/30, probably still use Mobil 1.

I change the oil every 4-5k miles and my daily drive is fairly short - 8 miles each way, but I have 2 other vehicles so this truck only gets driven to work a couple days per week at most. I drive it mainly on the weekends when I am running errands, etc and try to drive it long enough to get the oil heated up good.

I don't beat on the truck, but I do enjoy the feel of the power pushing me back into the seat, so I get on it routinely but not to excess.

So should I change or stick with the oil that got me this far? Thanks!

Gets a bit warm down there, no? I doubt you will benefit from a 5-30. Up here in the frozen north, things are different.

Wow, that sounds like some truck!

And
welcome2.gif

M1 5-30 is often used in high performance engines such as Corvetts, ALMS sport car seris, turbo Hondas, etc. There is a member her that uses this oil in his Chevy drag car but can't remember his name.

Any name-brand 5w30 synthetic should work well. I'd go for whichever is on sale at the time of your next change.

I would say you're perfectly fine doing what you're doing. Considering you're down south where it is warmer you don't have to worry about the cold start issues and you do need to worry about excessive oil temperatures, especially considering the modifications to your truck. A little thicker won't hurt and thinner might not help anything. I'm sure the 5W-30 would be fine as well, I generally run the specified oil in my vehicles but I don't mod. them either.

I've done several UOA's and found my '96 wagon with the 5.7L LT1 and it really likes Rotella T-6 5W-40. The UOA's are much better than they are with the 5W-30's I've tried. It did pretty well on an older version of Shell Rotella 10W-30 as well but it was too hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back