Oil Recommendation: '63 Dodge 318

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for oil recommendations for a '63 Dodge 318 motor- this is apparently a heavy-duty version and it's in a Travco RV. I'm just beginning to read up on this motor, so I don't know it is it has a flat tappet cam, and I've read different oil recommendations here based upon that. It has 26k original miles on it.

Thanks.

It is flat tappet,use 10w30,valve spring pressure really is what matters,use 10w30 and drive

Last edited:
I'd go to WalMart and buy their Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 10-30. Rotella seems to do well on more demanding engines, and markets well to diesel engines for example.

If I recall, it's $16 usually at WM for a 5-Quart jug.

Just my .02...but it is just a suggestion.

Don't listen to yaris0128.
grin2.gif

The other suggestions are good and I agree, the Rotella T5 10W-30 would be hard to beat.

1963 means don't run these newer lightweight oils.

Especially in a motor home!

Rotella or Delo. 40 weight. Choose based on your startup temp.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Any reason to use Rotella T5 over the fully synthetic T6 in this application?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Base that decision on the interval. Unless you go a long ways no need for synthetics.

...and IMO his engine would benefit just fine even with the 'lesser' range of viscosity than the T6. Either would work, but I would only use T6 in his app if he were living in Arizona or someplace like Florida. Otherwise, I think his engine will appreciate the 10w-30 quite frankly.

Besides, T5 isn't straight crude oil and has additives from other groupings besides being a base petroleum. I think he could get to 5k easy on T5.

Getting some mixed messages about viscosity here. Would T6 5W-40 not be advisable for this motor vs. T5 10W-30 or 10W-40?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Don't listen to yaris0128.
grin2.gif

The other suggestions are good and I agree, the Rotella T5 10W-30 would be hard to beat.

DITTO. Get the Rotella 10W30 at Walmart.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: moving2
Getting some mixed messages about viscosity here. Would T6 5W-40 not be advisable for this motor vs. T5 10W-30 or 10W-40?

I'd say stick with T5. T6 would be 'interesting' to see ran, but your car really doesn't spec well for that. I only say a possibility really because it 'may' be the better choice if you were driving in a desert.
wink.gif
Only from certain perspectives though. If you are in a desert the 10w-30 would still function well, but wouldn't last for long OCI more than likely(110-120+ degrees Fahrenheit).

Rotella 15W-40 is fine, provided it doesn't get too cold. T5 10W-30 would be fine as well, and so would T6 5W-40. What they're saying is that unless you're running it hard in very hot weather, or running long OCIs, T6 may be overkill and to save the money and get the T5.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
It's called a Poly 318. 230hp I believe with a 2bbl carb.

I'd run oil with higher ZDDP in it myself.

230HP gross, probably 150-170 net.

I'd also use an oil with a higher amount of ZDDP in it as well. 15w40 in the summer, 10w30 in the winter seems reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back