Oil Recommendation - 2.3 Lima Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
I picked up a 1993 Mustang notchback with the 2.3 Lima 4 cylinder and a 5 speed standard transmission.
Has about 133k miles, odometer has rolled over once.
There is minor seepage of oil around the seals, but no notable leaks.
The car was in storage for about 15 years, until last month.
It will be used for highway commuting, year-round, in central Florida.
I plan on running a 5k OCI with a Motorcraft FL-1A filter, on conventional.
Thoughts on an appropriate oil? I was thinking MaxLife 10W-30, or SuperTech HM 10W-30.

Your plan sounds great. Seriously, you've got it right, don't over-think it.
Neat car, remember when they were new.

Sounds good.

ONN: Change your coolant with a full flush and refill and you might want to change all the hoses and thermostat as well to be safe. 15 years is a long time to be stored. Keep a close eye on the coolant temperatures for the first little bit.

I'd change the ATF/PSF/Brake Fluid as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Sounds good.

ONN: Change your coolant with a full flush and refill and you might want to change all the hoses and thermostat as well to be safe. 15 years is a long time to be stored. Keep a close eye on the coolant temperatures for the first little bit.

I'd change the ATF/PSF/Brake Fluid as well.

+1

Drove a car that was in storage and had a coolant hose burst while driving...so good advice! I think any car of that age would benefit from a full checkup..brakes, rotors, brake fluid, etc.

Sounds like an ideal 5.0L swap candidate
grin.gif

Originally Posted by addyguy
Neat car, remember when they were new.

It is a neat car. Economical, and fun to drive, to a point, even with just 88 hp.
Originally Posted by StevieC
ONN: Change your coolant with a full flush...I'd change the ATF/PSF/Brake Fluid as well.

Believe me, before the next time that car leaves my garage, I'll have changed every fluid, belt, and hose, plus the thermostat, not to mention going over all the brakes. I have to replace the clutch, too.
Originally Posted by csandste
Think either the Maxlife or ST HM would be appropriate.

I'll be using whichever is on sale cheapest. Probably the ST HM to start.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
grin.gif

Long term, the plan is a fuel injected 302 or 351w, backed by a T-56 six-speed stick and an 8.8" rear. But until some other projects are done, I like the sound of 30 mpg highway
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by getawheel

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
grin.gif

Long term, the plan is a fuel injected 302 or 351w, backed by a T-56 six-speed stick and an 8.8" rear. But until some other projects are done, I like the sound of 30 mpg highway
grin2.gif

Why not turbo? 30 mpg highway plus some grunt when you want it. SVO Mustang and Thunderbird Turbo Coupe offer a pattern to follow.

I wouldn't worry about high-mileage oil. Just use whatever and keep an eye on the level.

Originally Posted by Wagonmaster261
Why not turbo? 30 mpg highway plus some grunt when you want it. SVO Mustang and Thunderbird Turbo Coupe offer a pattern to follow.

Not a bad idea. I'll have to look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back