Oil recomm. for a Chrysler

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for the wife.

1. 05 Chrysler Sebring Limited convertible
2. I believe it recommends 10W-30
3. Live in central FL
4. She drives fairly easy, but can be hard on the car
5. She commutes daily, 30 minutes, probably 10 miles. Makes frequent 400 mile trips to South FL
6. The car has no engine problems

I don't know how many miles are on your car but you could run just about any 5w or 10w 30 oil. Rotella t-5 is good. You have to decide how often you want to change it. If you don't mind changing it more often any good conventional oil like pyb or the rotella. Synthetic will let you go longer between changes. pennzoil yellow bottle or rotella t-5 for conventional oil. for Synthetic, mobil 1 ep or even rotella t-6 5w 40.

I like Pennzoil yellow bottle or Pennzoil Platinum. Since I think Chrysler has a 3,000 mile or 5,000 mile oil change recommendation, I would use PYB. Check your manual first and follow that for the OCI but, I believe they back recomended to the 3K 5K for the 2.7 L V6. Ed

Now that T5 has jumped up to $16/gallon I would go with PYB, QS green bottle Advanced Durability or Valvoline white bottle-10 miles in FL is long enough to go with regular duty OCIs, use a good oil filter such as Purolator Classic or splurge & run a Pure One from AAP-they can be bought even CHEAPER than the Champ made Supertechs from WM. Just say no to the Fram orange can of DOOM!

If you have the 2.7L V-6 in that car I'd sure run a good synthetic oil and not a dino. Just because the 2.7's are known sludge monsters.

Any 5W30 should serve you well.

Castrol
Mobil
Pennzoil
Valvoline
Shell
Etc.

Any dino or synthetic from the above companies would be fine. If you have no favorite pick the cheapest and use that.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Any 5W30 should serve you well.

Castrol
Mobil
Pennzoil
Valvoline
Shell
Etc.

Any dino or synthetic from the above companies would be fine. If you have no favorite pick the cheapest and use that.

IF this is a 2.7, and considering the exposure to Florida heat, I would NOT use the cheapest dino and I would NOT run dino for 5K miles (again, in the 2.7). I would run dino in this application for 3500 - 4000 miles MAX. I would run stuff like Pennzoil Platinum for no more than 5K miles. I've done a pile of UOA on my own, so I know.

The 2.7 will destroy even Amsoil by around 8K miles. It's the oxidation and nitration numbers that largely determine end of oil life in this engine, not metals or TBN/TAN.

If you search on my user name you'll find plenty of posts and UOA on the 2.7 going back a couple of years or so. I don;t post much here anymore but a recent UOA I did on Penn Plat with 5K miles showed this oil doing an excellent job. And the engine now has 290,000 miles on it.

And if the engine is not a 2.7, then you can ignore everything I wrote.

Last edited:
Nope, it's the 2.7. Luckily she should be getting rid of the car soon.

BTW, you guys would recommend 5W instead of 10W for it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: geicogecko
Nope, it's the 2.7. Luckily she should be getting rid of the car soon.

BTW, you guys would recommend 5W instead of 10W for it?

For the 2.7 - Yes, 5W is preferred.

That engine gets good gas mileage on the highway for a car that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back