Oil rec please - '14 Ford Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tabor
Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 0-20 and Motor Craft filter. Both are at WM.

This is what I run at factory OLM intervals (at least until I'm out of warranty). But M1 is no longer claiming Ford WSS-M2C945-A for 0W-20 AFE, so you might want to run 5W-20. You are in Louisiana so I doubt there would be a meaningful difference.

On the back of my most recent jug of M1 0-20 it does say 945-A is good to go.

I know, mine too. But they changed the PDS a few months ago so I'm sure it's just old stock that hasn't been flushed out of the pipeline. I sent them a message through their website but they never got back to me.

Originally Posted By: tojo1968
I have a '14 ST (Ecoboost engine) I live by Orlando (hot and humid) I have absolutely no problem running MC filter and MC synthetic blend. However, I do follow a 3k OCI due to my 4.5 mile trip each way to work. The oil never gets to operating temp. Run MC products and keep the receipts, it will make any oil related warranty claims much easier.

Sounds like the perfect reason to get out on the highway and open it up!

If I had a Ford I would use Motorcraft oil filters...it's a good filter and it looks even better if you use a factory filter on your car if any warranty issues crop up.

Since you have a DI engine I would run a good synthetic blend or synthetic. Motorcraft 5w20 would be an excellent choice.

I'm also a fan of any API SN synthetic oil that is on sale. Napa has Napa Synthetic 5w20 (re-badged Valvoline Synpower) for $3.79/qt throughout this month which is an excellent deal.

To me it just makes sense to run a synthetic oil especially when you can reliably get it at sale prices below that of conventional.

I just got a '14 Focus SE myself. According to my OASIS report, I have a free oil change waiting at Ford, so that's what it'll get the first time. (7.5K?) I also have a 5qt jug of PP waiting for the 2nd oil change which I will run for 1 year.(less than 12K). Always MC filters. FL910S

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: tojo1968
I have a '14 ST (Ecoboost engine) I live by Orlando (hot and humid) I have absolutely no problem running MC filter and MC synthetic blend. However, I do follow a 3k OCI due to my 4.5 mile trip each way to work. The oil never gets to operating temp. Run MC products and keep the receipts, it will make any oil related warranty claims much easier.

Sounds like the perfect reason to get out on the highway and open it up!

Every chance I get my friend!!

If the manual states 5w-20, then I'd suggest using a Motorcraft 5w-20 and a Motorcraft filter. Motorcraft oil has continually shown that it's a very good oil that's worth more than it's very reasonable cost.

However, if you wanted to move up to a full synthetic, then any of the major oil manufacturer's will do (M1, Valvoline, PP, QSUD, even SuperTech will be fine). Though, if I were going with any of those, I'd probably go with a 0w-20 over a 5w-20. Not that cold weather performance will make a difference for you, just I suspect that 0w's have a slightly better base oils that helps them last longer.

Motorcraft 5w-20 and a Motorcraft filter every 5k-7.5k miles is what I'd do.

For your vehicle 72sub, we would recommend the following Pennzoil products: Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20 Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology, or Pennzoil Gold Synthetic Blend 5W-20 Motor Oil. - The Pennzoil Team

^ Pennzoil team recommends Pennzoil? Fascinating!
wink.gif

Your engine calls for oil that meets Ford's WSS-M2C945–A specification; really any major label 5w20 (As mentioned, MC is the OEM). How to check is simply reading the back of the oil bottle, where met specifications are listed.

Last edited:
Would have to agree on the Pennzoil or QS products due to the relatively lower NOACK figure as long as it meets specification. I'm still a little paranoid about carbon deposits in my GDI so I would use synthetic oil and Top Tier / Name Brand gas only. Personally, I'm more concerned about that aspect as it relates to the GDI engine than someone recommending to "just use a good quality 5w-20", etc.

Originally Posted By: Tabor
M1 0-20 and Motor Craft filter. Both are at WM.

This is what I run at factory OLM intervals (at least until I'm out of warranty). But M1 is no longer claiming Ford WSS-M2C945-A for 0W-20 AFE, so you might want to run 5W-20. You are in Louisiana so I doubt there would be a meaningful difference.

We use Mobil1 0w-20 in both our 2002 and the 2012 Focus. Over 200,000 miles combined. These cars must use oil, but it's so slight than I can't read a difference on the dip stick.

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back