Oil rec please - '14 Ford Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Been a long time since I've been on the forum. Glad to see it's still going strong. Anyway, I just bought a new '14 Ford Focus SE (2.0 GDI) and would appreciate an oil recommendation. Factors to consider:

- South Louisiana (hot and humid)
- 10-15k miles per year, mostly city, frequent heavy traffic
- Oil and filter change twice a year, regardless of miles
- Available at Walmart or Costco
- I generally use WIX filters, but is there anything acceptable available at Walmart?

Thanks much!

At least with city driving , you will get the engine hot( fuel dilution). But gdi, longer oci and city driving. I'm not sure that is all compatable. If i had a gdi, i'd run a 0-30 and do a uoa at 5k and see how it looks.

I'd probably go with any of the name brand synthetics like Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, etc, which are available at any Walmart. I believe 5W-20 is the recommended grade for that engine.

Motorcraft filters are excellent and would fit your OCI perfectly. They're available at Walmart for around $4.

If cost is important, go with a synthetic blend...that should be fine for bi-annual OCIs. If not, any name brand synthetic on the shelf at Walmart will work easily as will any filter there. Fram TG is probably the best upgrade filter at WM for the buck.

And although a bit more money than the MotorCraft filters, the FRAM Ultra @ $8.97 at W*M is a great filter!

Oil choices will be enormous! Anything from SuperTech 5W20 to whatever?

2.0 L DI Ecoboost engine is hard on oil and as stated in you owner's manual Ford requires 5W-30 meeting WSS-M2C946-A, do not use 5W-20 in this engine. Any full syn 5W-30 at Wal-Mart should meet this spec. Motorcraft FL-910s oil filters are the proper fitment and can be found at Wal-Mart for less than $5.

Hot weather driving in-town would say any Xw30 synthetic. Cold startups make the "X"-factor almost irrelevant. I am assuming twice a year oil changes.
I would do once a year filter changes with a Fram Ultra. That is typically the messiest part, so reducing them is always nice.

Adding some Lubromoly MOS2 wouldn't hurt either.

That's not the Ecoboost.

Use 5w-20, like your owner's manual requires. Motorcraft 5w-20 and a Motorcraft filter will be fine. Wal-Mart has them. Problem solved.

Use 5w-20, like your owner's manual requires. Motorcraft 5w-20 and a Motorcraft filter will be fine. Wal-Mart has them. Problem solved. [/quote]

+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay

Use 5w-20, like your owner's manual requires. Motorcraft 5w-20 and a Motorcraft filter will be fine. Wal-Mart has them. Problem solved. +1

+2

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 0-20 and Motor Craft filter. Both are at WM.

This is what I run at factory OLM intervals (at least until I'm out of warranty). But M1 is no longer claiming Ford WSS-M2C945-A for 0W-20 AFE, so you might want to run 5W-20. You are in Louisiana so I doubt there would be a meaningful difference.

Ford engines seem to love MC oil. I think that the synthetic blend should be more than adequate for a 5-7.5k OCI. I dont really trust the OLM in my Ford with synthetic blend because 10k seems too much to me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dothedrew1202
Ford engines seem to love MC oil.

I had a Focus that did NOT love the stuff....drank it like it was thirsty. A new 2014 Focus as a matter of fact.

But going up in weight, and to Mobil, seemed to solve that issue.

Engine oil

2.0LGDI engine(4,5) 4.5 quarts (4.3L)

•Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil WSS-M2C945–A4,5

Your engine has been designed to use Motorcraft engine oils or equivalent oils that meet Ford
specifications. It is also acceptable to use an engine oil of recommended viscosity grade that meets API SN requirements and displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines.
-----------------------------------------

This is all you need to know what your engine requires and doesn't void your warranty.

I have a '14 ST (Ecoboost engine) I live by Orlando (hot and humid) I have absolutely no problem running MC filter and MC synthetic blend. However, I do follow a 3k OCI due to my 4.5 mile trip each way to work. The oil never gets to operating temp. Run MC products and keep the receipts, it will make any oil related warranty claims much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back