Oil questions for 7th Gen Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
5W20 is recommended- its even on the oil cap.

I asked them to put in 5W30 and they did (I watched).

I'm thinking I'll start running Mobil 1 5W30 with some filter- not sure what though.

So it's safe for me to go synthetic at 7500 miles? Can I get a filter tightener at walmart?

So I read as many UOA's as I could find for accords- there were none with the 3.0 V6 and synthetic:(

It makes me wonder if I should go with Mobil 0W20 or 5W30 or some other synthetic/weight or just take it to Honda for some 5W30 dino oil.

1800 miles till my next oil change- that means it'll still be winter, but it does get pretty warm here in the summer(80-90's), and if I go 7500 miles that means I'll go through the summer months. Any advice on what weight? I may just buy the 5W30 cause you can get it in the big jug at Walmart:)

"I read as many UOA's as I could find for Accords - there were none with the 3.0 V6 and synthetic."

I'm not surprised seeing how new it is. Besides, any UOAs posted at this point would show a lot of break-in wear and wouldn't be as useful as they could be.
frown.gif

When choosing an oil, I'd be sure to use a moly oil as Hondas seem to be designed to be happiest with a good dose of moly in them ... looking at the amount of moly in their break-in and OEM oils.

Also, I wrote my first post in haste and forgot to add that the aversion to running synthetic oil in a new car is overblown and or/out of date. The oil burning some Preludes experience has little or nothing to do with break in but instead ring design.

As for filters, the Wix 51334/NAPA Gold 1334 are really well made but the filter element inside isn't as big as you'd think, looking at the canister.
frown.gif

I liked the OEM filtech filters years ago but they're awfully scarce these days. Avoid Mobil 1 in high-RPM applications. Too restrictive.
tongue.gif

I liked Hastings ... but forgot the part number I used to use in my '95 Honda Civic.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:

Avoid Mobil 1 in high-RPM applications. Too restrictive.
tongue.gif

--- Bror Jace

Are you sure the M1-104 filter is too restrictive? The synthetic media is suppose to filter down to a small size while still maintaining flow.

From Mobil:
"Reduces resistance to oil flow while improving filter efficiency."

Sorry Captal my question was directed to Gerhardb . I thought he had some recent information I had not heard before.

Have you seen the posts on Honda oil filters in the oil filter section? Some people here have some pictures of cut open filters that are interesting and may be helpful.

I posted my UOA's on M1 5W-30 with those Purolator filters. Do a search under Honda or Accord. Engine is a V6, 3.0 The blue filter is PL14459. I just send in another UOA with the same oil at about 4500 miles hoping to see the Fe go down or I'm switching.

Well I picked up some Mobil1 5w30 at Walmart today- $22 for the 5 quart. It was the exact same price as buying 5 individual quarts:(

I didn't pick up a filter- there was the normal fram, double guard and another fram filter that was more expensive. They were $3,$4,$7 respectively. I wasn't sure which one to get- I know the "normal" one isn't as high of quality, but I didn't know if the $7 was worth it. I'll try to just go to a car store and pick up something better, even though I'm not sure what to get.

quote:

Originally posted by Captal:
Well I picked up some Mobil1 5w30 at Walmart today- $22 for the 5 quart. It was the exact same price as buying 5 individual quarts:(

I didn't pick up a filter- there was the normal fram, double guard and another fram filter that was more expensive. They were $3,$4,$7 respectively. I wasn't sure which one to get- I know the "normal" one isn't as high of quality, but I didn't know if the $7 was worth it. I'll try to just go to a car store and pick up something better, even though I'm not sure what to get.

Dont get a fram filter. Get a wix, bosch, STP, supertech, etc anything but a fram.

I ended up picking up a bosch for $5, I couldn't find Wix/napa gold.

I didn't feel that the M1 filter was worth twice as much! If I really want I'll just get another bosch and change the filter midway through my drain.

By the way doesn't the oil come out if I take the filter off? My filter is pretty low on the car, by the passenger side wheel.

Another question- if you could get Amsoil 5W30 for the same price as Mobil1 5W30, which would you buy?

Also- autozone didn't have a 2003 catalog so my car wasn't listed- is the 3323 the correct filter for my car? Mobil1 M-110 was listed as fitting my car, I can't find anything online either...

[ January 15, 2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Captal ]

quote:

... By the way doesn't the oil come out if I take the filter off? My filter is pretty low on the car, by the passenger side wheel.

I have a 4 cyl 03 Accord but I'm sure the V6 is similar. Some oil will come out after you remove the filter. This is in additional to any oil you may spill from within the filter. This is because the anti drain back valve in the filter will keep oil in the block going up to the heads. Gravity causes the oil the spill once you remove the filter containing the one-way valve. However, this is not that much oil and you should not lose any oil in the oil pan.

quote:

Also- autozone didn't have a 2003 catalog so my car wasn't listed- is the 3323 the correct filter for my car? Mobil1 M-110 was listed as fitting my car, I can't find anything online either...

The 2003 uses a smaler filter but the biger 2002 oil filters listed for the 2002 should fit. At least it does on my 4 cyl. The M1 oversize filter is the M1-104. I don't know about the 3323.

Another good filter to consider is the Honda 15400-PCX-004. This is the new filter for the Honda S2000, and fits all Hondas. It's a better filter than the other Honda filters, but you have to specifically ask for it since not all dealerships carry it.

quote:

Originally posted by MikeySoft:

quote:

The 2003 uses a smaler filter but the biger 2002 oil filters listed for the 2002 should fit. At least it does on my 4 cyl. The M1 oversize filter is the M1-104. I don't know about the 3323.

Yeah the thread size was definetly bigger for the filter listed for the 2002. How would a bigger thread size actually fit? Will the 3323 fit just because it's the same size as the M-110?

quote:

Another question- if you could get Amsoil 5W30 for the same price as Mobil1 5W30, which would you buy?

Assuming you are talking about the ASL, there is no question in my mind! I would take the Amsoil.
cool.gif

Well I did some reading online (don't ask me where) and found out that the larger and smaller filters will fit just fine on my car. So I went back to autozone and picked up the larger Bosch filter- it has the same thread size as the smaller and the rubber ring is even the same size but it's just a bigger filter- for the same price!

It's looking like bosch is going to be my filter of choice, someone on clubrsx cut one open along with many other filters and found that it was a pretty decent filter! For $5.50 I'll take it, especially since the M1 was $11.99 and I couldn't find Wix/Napa Gold.

Now the question is, how long can I run the Bosch larger size filter with M1 SS? I was going to just go with 7500 mile drains since warrenty requires it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back