Oil purchase receipt not enough in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be the deciding issue here-the oil "looked bad"?? Did the dealership have it tested by an INDEPENDENT oil testing company? No? Then they dumped it? They have very little chance of beating the OP's friend on this one, it won't even make it to trial!
Exactly, and probably a quick call with a corporate call with a legal representative from their legal department will clear things up.

What actually failed?

Will not mention make/model because it becomes a tangent.
-2019 Direct Injection small displacement turbo.
-27k odo
-Family man, not a driving enthusiast
-Changes his own oil 5k/6mth

Friend's car suddenly developed a severe misfire and would not stay on for any duration. He got it towed to the dealer who wants to charge him for an engine replacement.

My friend argued that it should be under warranty and he has the receipts for all maintenance items including the oil changes.

Dealership counters that in the condition the oil was in, there is no way he followed the OLM and they are blaming him for neglect.

He has taken it up to corporate and they've basically told him they stand by the dealership because oil/filter purchase receipts don't prove oil was changed on time.

He's now seeking legal advice.

I never thought I'd read, much less know someone who's going through something like this.
I would also spring for a second opinion-at this point I wouldn't believe anything they told me anyway.

My Ford app has a log for self-service and allows you to upload photos or receipts. I always take a pic of the receipts and the oil and filter containers on the radiator support with the license plate visible as well as the odometer, oil life and trip 2 screens. Hopefully I never need it as evidence.

Friend's car suddenly developed a severe misfire and would not stay on for any duration. He got it towed to the dealer who wants to charge him for an engine replacement.
Does he know anything more about the REASON for the misfire and REASON to recommend engine replacement? Is it oil related, or something else entirely making the oil a nonsequitur? Also, turbos are hard on oil; does your friend KNOW how to drive a turbo, and does his require it warm up and cool down?

As we've seen from this thread, lots of different opinions and knee jerk reactions when he might or might not have a cause to complain higher up, or eat the costs.

I would also spring for a second opinion-at this point I wouldn't believe anything they told me anyway.
Yeah, I'd call all the local dealers and speak with their service managers, they may be willing to help. Tell him brief story and they may be willing to help...

Previous post I spoke about BMW engine failure and them voiding the warranty. Called other dealership and they were willing to take it their shop.. Apparently the dealerships did not have a good relationship.

BTW the estimate they handed me when they told me it was my fault was 18k. Used motor, a bit higher mileage than mine.

It's going to largely depend on the precise language in the warranty coverage.

Maybe, maybe not. Lawyer's aren't free. They don't tend to work on IOUs either.

Most will charge $$$ for a in-depth consultation to review the warranty contract and evidence, and listen to his position. He might get a free 15-60 minute consult somewhere. But for a real deep dive and advice, it's going to cost him more than he saved on all his "at home" oil changes. It might be worth paying a lawyer to write a strongly worded threatening letter but with unlikely positive outcome.

At $300, 20-30 hours of lawyer time for an uncertain outcome would likely pay for a typical passenger engine and installation.

Any contract is only valid to the point you fight for it. If the dealer doesn't want to do the work at warranty rates, the manufacturer doesn't want to incur the cost and you are not going to fight you don't have one.

Maybe, maybe not. Lawyer's aren't free. They don't tend to work on IOUs either.

Most will charge $$$ for a in-depth consultation to review the warranty contract and evidence, and listen to his position. He might get a free 15-60 minute consult somewhere. But for a real deep dive and advice, it's going to cost him more than he saved on all his "at home" oil changes. It might be worth paying a lawyer to write a strongly worded threatening letter but with unlikely positive outcome.

At $300, 20-30 hours of lawyer time for an uncertain outcome would likely pay for a typical passenger engine and installation.

How about Small Claims Court ?

Ford would be my guess. They are notorious for doing this sort of thing. I have been through this with them several times.
Question, what brand and type of oil was he purchasing/using?
He just said synthetic.

I've unfortunately been in a similar situation a few times, and it's always extremely fact specific. Multibillion dollar businesses with an army of lawyers on staff don't get scared easily by threats of litigation. They get paid to crush the little guys. I've prevailed when the language was in my favor, and ate the loss when the language was in the business' favor. But the key is to know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

If the warranty language is vague or in his favor, he might prevail with some of those tactics. He has a stronger argument if he has only 1 car that takes this oil and filter and any other evidence of him changing it. He has a weaker case if the warranty language requires that he log it into their dealership website or any other steps he failed to do; particularly if he has multiple cars that take the same oil.
M&M cases are paid for by the manufacturer.

I was guessing Ford too, there's a local dealer, that has the entire staff trained to extract every penny out of you for any interaction you have with them. Service department will come back to you after an oil change with quotes for all needed emergency service items.

Will not mention make/model because it becomes a tangent.
-2019 Direct Injection small displacement turbo.
-27k odo
-Family man, not a driving enthusiast
-Changes his own oil 5k/6mth

My friend argued that it should be under warranty and he has the receipts for all maintenance items including the oil changes.

Dealership counters that in the condition the oil was in, there is no way he followed the OLM and they are blaming him for neglect.

He has taken it up to corporate and they've basically told him they stand by the dealership because oil/filter purchase receipts don't prove oil was changed on time.

He's now seeking legal advice.

I never thought I'd read, much less know someone who's going through something like this.

This post tells me that when your car is under warranty that you need to go to the dealer for oil changes. Now 99.9% of the people reading this, do not need to do this, but as we can see the dealer will do anything to get out of paying for this repair.

Receipts only show that this person bought something, that is JMO.

This is a vague post, without relevant and important details, like oil type used, and oil specification by the manufacturer. and therefore, the responses range from speculative, to unhelpful, and, honestly, somewhat inflammatory. Lock time.

We can address unlocking if you have concrete, relevant details to share in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back