Oil Pump Extractor Not Working

Today I went to extract the ATF in the Ranger and the fluid would come part way up the hose but would not flow into the tank. When I pulled the hose out slowly, about 8 inches, I heard the air being rapidly sucked in from the pump. So I know I had good suction and it was trying to extract but for some reason it wouldn't. I'm baffled. Any ideas?

My extractor is similar to this and worked fine a couple months ago pulling oil out of the Audi:

It’s highly likely that you are not getting your hose to the bottom of the pan. To do it right, drop the pan. Replace the pan gasket and filter. Then fill with Mercon V.

I could only remove 1/2 quart of ATF on my 03 F150 with a hand pump. So, I did a pan/filter change. I also purchased a Dorman trans pan with a plug.

It’s highly likely that you are not getting your hose to the bottom of the pan. To do it right, drop the pan. Replace the pan gasket and filter. Then fill with Mercon V.

Thanks for feedback. I am physically unable to drop the pan. Pan was dropped by a mechanic about 35K ago. I thought I'd refresh the fluid by extraction. The tube went down considerable further than the length of the dipstick and did pull up some fluid but not easily. Perhaps my pump is malfunction, however, as I mentioned above, when i slowly pulled the tube out I heard a strong suction. Also, after pumping a bit, I pulled the stopper portion out of the tank and got a loud suction sound. Will soon be doing the oil on another vehicle; will see if it works then.

Thanks for feedback. I am physically unable to drop the pan. Pan was dropped by a mechanic about 35K ago. I thought I'd refresh the fluid by extraction. The tube went down considerable further than the length of the dipstick and did pull up some fluid but not easily. Perhaps my pump is malfunction, however, as I mentioned above, when i slowly pulled the tube out I heard a strong suction. Also, after pumping a bit, I pulled the stopper portion out of the tank and got a loud suction sound. Will soon be doing the oil on another vehicle; will see if it works then.
Not all pans are suited for this type of extraction, yours may be one of them, but before throwing the sponge make sure the tube at the end doesn't have a flat cut, but one at an angle so the the suction may proceed.

I doubt the extractor is bad, but you can test it with a bucket of water or whatever.
I use the dipstick as a gauge to determine tube insertion depth. Maybe you went too far?
I would start with the dipstick depth and maybe an inch more. You can fish around when it is drawing fluid.
Finally, some fluid pans are not suitable for extractors.

Good luck.

I doubt that you will ever get to the pan’s bottom with the extractor.
Just like @JeffKeryk said. “Not suitable for extractors.”
It was designed for a pan drop and filter replacement.

I went back and tested it in a bucket of water; worked fine, other than the pump is binding a bit and hard to pump.
Stuck it back in and pumped it good; got 3 1/2 qts out. Put 3 in and will check it after runing.

Thanks to all for feedback. I was about to toss it and buy a new one. I still need to take the pump apart and see if the rubber 'thingie' can be trimmed.

Back