Do any of you tow a trailer behind your motorcycle?

1609274356314.png
I pull this one with my motorcycle.

I have pulled a trailer 1,000's of miles with a motorcycle. The trailer you posted looks very nice. It is cheaper than other options likely because it is a chinese built trailer. Harbor Freight used to sell something like that. I have a Harbor Freight trailer that I use with our van for dump runs, and I am happy with it.

Trailers are simple and there is not much to go wrong. For peace of mind you could install american bearings on the motorcycle trailer. Also soldier the wires so you have years of trouble free operation.

I'm not a fan of 2 wheeled trailers for motorcycles. A close riding friend has a large one wheeled trailer for his 2008 FLH Ultra Classic. I'm not sure on make/model, but I can find out quickly if your interested. It's neat since all 3 wheels are in alignment at all times and has given him no issues on our cross country trips in the past.

Late entry: Here is what my friend tows. One wheel.....
http://n-line.com/painting/n-line-one-wheel-custom-paint-2/

I have pulled a trailer 1,000's of miles with a motorcycle. The trailer you posted looks very nice. It is cheaper than other options likely because it is a chinese built trailer. Harbor Freight used to sell something like that. I have a Harbor Freight trailer that I use with our van for dump runs, and I am happy with it.

Trailers are simple and there is not much to go wrong. For peace of mind you could install american bearings on the motorcycle trailer. Also soldier the wires so you have years of trouble free operation.
Where did you get the swiveling trailer hitch?

I'm not a fan of 2 wheeled trailers for motorcycles. A close riding friend has a large one wheeled trailer for his 2008 FLH Ultra Classic. I'm not sure on make/model, but I can find out quickly if your interested. It's neat since all 3 wheels are in alignment at all times and has given him no issues on our cross country trips in the past.

Late entry: Here is what my friend tows. One wheel.....
http://n-line.com/painting/n-line-one-wheel-custom-paint-2/
Those are nice, but it's probably also a couple grand (at least). I'm not paying that much for motorcycle trailer...

I believe that towing a trailer with a motorcycle is a bad idea. But if my mind was set on doing it, then cheaping out with a trailer like the one from Northern Tool is definitely not the way that I would go.

The bouncy cheap suspension of that kind of trailer is just a disaster waiting to happen. A cheap trailer with tiny wheels bouncing around behind you could cause you to lose control and would be a liability in an emergency avoidance maneuver.

So if I absolutely had to pull a trailer with my motorcycle it would be a Bushtec and it would be behind a substantial motorcycle that could handle it.

1609616536583.jpg

https://bushtec.com/collections/pull-behind-motorcycle-trailers

I've ridden a couple bikes with trailers. Both late model Goldwings. One was a cheap trailer like in the OP's post, and the other was a Bushtec like the above post.

IME, the Bushtec imparted the least amount of influence on the bikes handling. So if I were to tow with a bike, it would likely be a Goldwing, with a Bushtec trailer.

However, I'd rather not ride a bike pulling a trailer.

I have a riding buddy with a Kawasaki Concours 1000. He constructed his own trailer using a car top carrier for a shell, leaf springs on the frame for suspension and an ingenious hitch he built that allows the bike to lean. Obviously all those things are available in the aftermarket but he did it himself and it works wonderfully. He’s smart enough to realize when he’s hauling the trailer that his bike doesn’t handle, ride, accelerate or brake like it does without the trailer. He rides within those parameter’s and thousands of other folks do as well with no issue. I wouldn’t choose to pull a trailer, but would have confidence in the proper set up knowing I have to do my part with a bike capable of it, whatever that bike size or style may be.

Years ago I was contemplating getting a trailer. After checking around I was just about set to go for it. Then this happened to a couple that rode with our Polar Bear group. I changed my mind after this.,,
On Sept 4, 2008, Danny and Barbara Sparks, long time members of Ocean Thunder HOG and riders in the Polar Bear Grand Tour, were returning home from the Harley-Davidson 105th Anniversary Celebration in Milwaukee when the trailer they were towing with their motorcycle went out of control and caused them to take a hard spill. Barbara was killed instantly. Danny remains in UPMC Presbyterian with major injuries. He has lost one leg and has other serious injuries as well. He is currently in a chemically induced comma to facilitate his healing process.

That is a shame to hear. Truly tragic. Can you share, what were the extenuating circumstances? Weather, speed, loading of the bike, flat tire on the trailer, etc? I am sure they had done thousands of miles and the “trailer went out of control” and causes an accident?

As a MSF instructor I advise against it. I was riding with a friend who was towing when we suddenly had to brake. It lifted the back end of the bike and dumped him and the bike on a he side of the road. Just know if you chose to tow your chances of an accident go up.
Smoky

I have a friend who pulled a Bunkhouse pop up motorcycle trailer 2 up for tens of thousands of miles for a good decade with never a problem. Personally, I would never pull a trailer with a motorcycle, but that’s just me.

That is a shame to hear. Truly tragic. Can you share, what were the extenuating circumstances? Weather, speed, loading of the bike, flat tire on the trailer, etc? I am sure they had done thousands of miles and the “trailer went out of control” and causes an accident?
That happened in '08 but ifrc, I heard a wheel bearing locked up the trailer, and that's when everything went south.,,,

Thanks for the info.

Smoky14, can you share if the trailer caused the motorcycle to lift or did breaking suddenly cause the issue we all deal with at some point whether pulling a trailer or not. The back end gets light and the rear tire will come off the ground. I can see the trailer pushing the rear end that’s off the ground or already light from braking and Lord knows what could happen, like it did to your friend.

Back