Oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the oil pressure spec is for a 2001 Ford Escape? The Haynes manual says 45 PSI at 800 RPM, but the dealer says 11 PSI min at 1500 RPM. Anyone have the proper spec? I measured 17 PSI at idle and 50 PSI at 2500 RPM. Just want to see how far below spec I may be.
Thanks.

As thin as possible but as thick as necessary.

I have an engine that seems to "like" a 40-weight for its minimum oil pressure. An old, unknown history, now suspected of leaking oil engine. Worn.
^^ = Example of "As necessary."

New, perfect engine could use 0W-20, most of the time.............
^^ = Example of "As possible."

And Haynes says some really outrageous things in their books sometimes. Still useful to have.. it gave me my engine's firing order.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
One is hot and the other cold.

That's undoubtedly the case.

Porsche for example also gives an oil temp' of 80C with their test spec's which adds a degree of accuracy not to mention eliminate any confusion.

So is my oil pressure reasonable? Does anyone know what the spec should be? I am concerned if I am lower than it that there is some some sort of engine damage...

Originally Posted By: Lil_Trucker
So is my oil pressure reasonable? Does anyone know what the spec should be? I am concerned if I am lower than it that there is some some sort of engine damage...

Presuming your measurements are when the oil was fully warmed up, I wouldn't worry. What viscosity and how worn/how many miles on the engine? Are you hearing anything from the motor? Is it consuming too much oil and is the coolant temp OK?
Haynes manuals are useless. If you're keeping the car, invest in an OEM service manual. as an example, Faxon Auto Literature has full set for $99 US or a truck specifications manual for less than $30. http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/Search.aspx?c=142514

It was fully warmed up. 150k kms on the motor. No noise and it runs great. Not sure about oil consumption as I have only had it for a week.
I will have to look in to the shop manuals. I was hoping someone could let me know without having to buy them just for the pressure spec.

Originally Posted By: Brit33
50psi @ 2500rpm hot?? That appears significant.

Isn't the general rule 10 psi per 1000rpm?

No. That's a thing that Dr. Haas came up with to figure out what viscosity to use in his cars. IIRC, he even said it was an arbitrary guideline.

Does anyone know what the oil pressure spec is for a 2001 Ford Escape?

What engine? Didn't they come with either a v6 or a 4 banger?

MY 2001 Ranger has a 2.3L DOHC 16-valve Duratec and gets about 20 psi at idle and 40 psi at road speed (about 2500 rpm).

Originally Posted By: Stelth

No. That's a thing that Dr. Haas came up with to figure out what viscosity to use in his cars. IIRC, he even said it was an arbitrary guideline.

That figure was quoted by Smokey Yunick years ago(like 40+) and mostly applies to the small block Chevy, though can be used for most engines... Try to run a Ford 351 Cleveland at 6500 RPMs for long without 80-90psi and you'll be launching pieces out of the oil pan... As good as those engines are for making HP, the oil system was particularly poor...

Your oil pressure sounds reasonable for an engine that is fully warmed up.

If you're going to be doing any real maintenance or repair get the factory service manual. Haynes manuals are mostly good for lining bird cages. They're full of incomplete and many times just plain wrong info.

Originally Posted By: Stelth

No, he did NOT come up with that. The 10psi per 1,000RPM rule is probably older than Haas is.

It was fully warmed up. 150k kms on the motor. No noise and it runs great. Not sure about oil consumption as I have only had it for a week.
I will have to look in to the shop manuals. I was hoping someone could let me know without having to buy them just for the pressure spec.

If it's not smoking or overheating or "consuming" any significant oil or coolant, I wouldn't worry. Any idea when the oil or other fluids were last changed?

Not sure when it was last done. There was a sticker in the window for the next oil change, about 1000km, but I am going to do one this week at the truck is new to me.

It says on the full plug to put in 5W-20, but now I am thinking 5w-30 since the engine is no spring chicken. Thoughts?

Last edited:
It sounds like your oil pressure is above spec' so I recommend going with a 5W-20. We're also heading into winter which is another reason to stick with the specified grade.

I don't recall if you know exactly what oil's in the car now but I'd recommend when you do the oil change is to fill just to the minimum level on the dip stick, drive the truck for a bit and note the OP on the fresh 5W-20 oil. If it's above the spec' 17 psi at 1,500 rpm with the oil fully hot, and I'm sure it will be, then you know the 5W-20 is not too light and you can top it up to the full mark with more 5W-20.
On the off change your OP was below 17 psi then you could add something heavier but I doubt that will be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back