Oil Pressure oddities

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for the hive mind. I own a 1993 K2500 (3/4 ton 4X4) Suburban with a 454. I tow a single axle 6X10 enclosed trailer on occasion. I recently had a motor swap done, and had a used engine installed. The oil used after the swap was Valvoline 10w30. Upon startup, oil pressure climbs to ~45 psi (gauge has been tested and is accurate). After the engine warms up to operating temp, the oil pressure starts to fluctuate. While running at interstate speeds, pressure stays around 40 psi. However, when the vehicle slows to idle, the pressure drops down to about 5 psi. It has been suggested to me that the problem may be having the wrong viscosity oil. Does this sound right to y'all, and if so, what viscosity should I be running? Thanks for y'all's insights.

One last thing, in a quick Google:

Possible causes for low oil pressure:
1. Improper oil viscosity
2. Malfunctioning oil pressure switch
3. Not enough oil
4. Clogged oil strainer
5. Deterioration of oil pump
6. Worn oil pump relief valve
7. Excessive clearance in various sliding parts (e.g., bearings)

a lot of those engines did that the 350 was also one of them it will run fine i saw tons of them with this and they all still ran well..

The oil is thin when hotter. Sounds like a worn out engine.

You could try stepping up a grade.

Maybe a 10w40 or 15w40

Generally speaking you want at least 10psi per 1000rpm.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
a lot of those engines did that the 350 was also one of them it will run fine i saw tons of them with this and they all still ran well..

I agree, Where would you find a used under 200,000 mile '93 TBI 454 these day's, It may be worn....If it ain't knockin' don't worry about it!

Originally Posted By: jdavis
I'd do a compression test before anything else, cheap and easy to do and will tell a lot..
a compression test will tell you how the rings and valves are but not the main,rod or cam bearinga

Oil Pump clearances or worn main bearings.

All SBChevy and BBChevy motors will show x PSI per 1000 RPM. I like about 30 PSI at idle and +5 PSI per 1000 RPM (so 50~60 PSI @ redline).

But ... these motors are amazingly tolerant of a wide variation in oil pressures. I've seen examples with low idle pressure like yours go another 100,000 miles.

You could drop the pan and measure your main bearing clearances. Rebuild or change out the oil pump, screen, and make sure that the pickup is not picking up air at the same time. No need to pull the motor. The level of the pickup should be checked and set (brazed or staked) during installation, maybe that wasn't done properly.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: jdavis
I'd do a compression test before anything else, cheap and easy to do and will tell a lot..
a compression test will tell you how the rings and valves are but not the main,rod or cam bearinga

Right, and if those are in good shape then it's not out of the question to drop the oil pan and replace the bearings from underneath without having to replace the motor.

Unfortunately, dropping the pan on this requires either raising the motor, or removing the front axle. Not something I can do in the driveway.

1) mechanical gauge

2) Clogged Oil Filter

3) Worn out Oil Pump

4) Worn crank and rod bearings..dont forget the cam bearings.

5) Complete Overhaul

6) Install used or reman engine when yours stops pumping oil at all.

7) Sell As Is/Where Is.

Those are pretty much your options.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Step 1 would be to verify the pressure with a mechanical gauge. Have you done this?

This. The Wells gauge sender for GMs is notorious for reading artificially low pressure. Don't assume new = good.

Originally Posted By: Alispark
Unfortunately, dropping the pan on this requires either raising the motor, or removing the front axle. Not something I can do in the driveway.

Why ARE so many vehicles made where you have to basically pull the engine to get at the oil pan? Do they not want us removing them?

It just seems terrible when a plug gets stripped and swapping pans could be an easy fix......or putting on a new gasket to fix a leak could be a few minutes and a few dollars.

I'd run M1 15W-50 in it and call it a day. Don't worry about it until it starts knocking. Use a cheap non restrictive oil filter like the OCOD. The 6x10 trailer is nothing - a BBC laughs at that. My 92 Suburban BB sees a little under 30psi at hot idle on 10W-30, but it's a low mileage engine that's had synthetic oil it's whole life. Most of the miles have been hard though, towing a 12,000 lb trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back