Oil Pressure Bypass - Relief Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to find out what a stock car's oil pump bypass pressure is? (without doing it experimentally with a sensor)
Shouldn't they be something like 80 psi?

It's way lower than that. Usually between 8 and 20 for most filters I think. Does your car have the bypass or does it rely on the filter?

Both specs can be looked up if you list your car or filter.

Or are you asking if you can test it while the car is running? i.e. do you want to know when you are in bypass, that I don't think you can check

Is the OP asking about the oil pump pressure relief valve? This is the spring loaded valve integral with the oil pump that will open when the desired pump pressure is achieved. When that pressure is exceeded, it opens and dumps oil back into the crankcase. The oil pressure gage is in a separate location. In the case of a Chev LS engine the gage is at the rear of the intake manifold. Pre 2014 models will read about 40 psi. The setting on the spring loaded valve has to be higher than that for the pump to push the oil through the galleries up to where the pressure gage is.

5 ;7 and 8 bar on various pre-chamber MB engines. Can be found on the oil pump or front side of the engine block on smaller displacement engines.
This is for the oil pressure relief valves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BeerCan
It's way lower than that. Usually between 8 and 20 for most filters I think.

Not this.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Is the OP asking about the oil pump pressure relief valve? This is the spring loaded valve integral with the oil pump that will open when the desired pump pressure is achieved. When that pressure is exceeded, it opens and dumps oil back into the crankcase. The oil pressure gage is in a separate location. In the case of a Chev LS engine the gage is at the rear of the intake manifold. Pre 2014 models will read about 40 psi. The setting on the spring loaded valve has to be higher than that for the pump to push the oil through the galleries up to where the pressure gage is.

This.

But you don't know at what pressure it will start to work/divert the excess?

Originally Posted by Brian553

But you don't know at what pressure it will start to work/divert the excess?

Correct. Not sure. I believe the spring can be changed to tailer high performance applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back