Oil Pressure and Temperature Gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in installing oil temp and pressure gauges in my vehicles. Can anyone tell me if this is a difficult job or is DIY possible? Also, an recommendations on brands? Not looking for anything fancy. Mechanical, back lit are fine.

Do some research before you order. You can "tee" the oil pressure but you need to find a "tee" with what might be an odd thread.

You cannot "tee" the oil temp as it needs to be in the flow of oil, so you will need to find an unused oil pressure port.

A lot of cars have gallery plugs, look on the car specific forum to see.

Oil low pressure switches are usually tapped in at that point, but that's an on/off switch, closes when oil pressure rises above a certain point.

You want a sending unit, that will send a signal to the oil pressure gauge....

Also cars with optional turbo engines can have spots to attach a sending unit...

you'll spend more time getting the dash to look clean and pretty than the rest of it, in my experience.

pressure sender gets a 't', however you can use a short run of nylon tubing to remote the T out of tight spots if needed. you'd need to furnish ground in such a case, like soldering a lead to the T.

temp sender as said above needs to be "in flow".

The sandwich adapters with ports are not good for pressure as they are before the filter and if used with an oil cooler will be after the cooler so not the best for oil temp. Best to tee the OEM pressure sender. On my Hyundais this thread is 1/8 - 27 BSTP as compared to the USA standard of 1/8 -28.

Glowshift makes adapters for the threads.

I've got some digital ProSport gauges; boost, oil pressure and oil temp. The temp is not accurate but I got what I paid for I guess.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
The sandwich adapters with ports are not good for pressure as they are before the filter and if used with an oil cooler will be after the cooler so not the best for oil temp. Best to tee the OEM pressure sender. On my Hyundais this thread is 1/8 - 27 BSTP as compared to the USA standard of 1/8 -28.

Glowshift makes adapters for the threads.

I've got some digital ProSport gauges; boost, oil pressure and oil temp. The temp is not accurate but I got what I paid for I guess.

That's disappointing that they are not accurate. That adapter looks so easy to install. Do you find their gauges to be accurate without the sandwich adapter?

I can compare the gauge to what the ECU sees. Prosport says the OEM sensors are wrong....

The sandwich adapters are sometimes the only way to get a port for a sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back