OIl pressure and exhaust back pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would oil pressure go up when you reduce exhaust back pressure? I just hollowed out my cat conv and put a short muffler and exited in front of the rear wheel greatly reducing flow restriction. My oil pressure went from 25 psi at 2k rpm to 37. What do you think? 1990 ford f250 5.8l

Originally Posted By: JRed
Your oil pressure gauge/sender is probably flaking out for some reason.

+1

Maybe a corroded or loose wire. Gauges can "Fail High" OR "Fail low."

If taking out gauge, make sure its wired up correctly sometimes Gauges and senders need changed. Sometimes.

Knew someone w a 2003 Tahoe, Oil Pressure was showing as 120Psi all the time. Gauge "Failed High."
smile.gif

Now, another car, its indicating higher than normal pressures, but it could be anything. Gauges, engine, no worry at all, actual OP.. Any of the above. Its still within operating range, so it will only be touched as part of Dash re-wiring/cleaning/wiring clusters.

It is a Sun Pro mechanical guage that works perfectly. How do I know this? It is brand new. Just installed before the exhaust to monitor a low oil pressure condition. I am running Mobil One 15w50 to maintain adequate pressure. I always had 25 psi hot at 2k rpm. I am now getting 37 psi.

I too, do not see the correlation between the said 2.

Remember: there's no direct link between the 2 (oil is running/lubricating inside your engine moving parts, exhaust gas only gets handled through combustion chamber+ valves + exhaust piping , resonators and cats, and they (between oil/oil pressure and exhaust gas generation + routing) do not come into any form of contact.

I'm with ARCOGraphite on this one.

Q.

Originally Posted By: liberty
It is a Sun Pro mechanical guage that works perfectly. How do I know this? It is brand new. Just installed before the exhaust to monitor a low oil pressure condition. I am running Mobil One 15w50 to maintain adequate pressure. I always had 25 psi hot at 2k rpm. I am now getting 37 psi.

That is great that the great oil M1 15W-50 sounds like it will give more Oil pressure, but the only thing i can think of is blown Head Gasket. That DOES Make pressures including Oil pressure go up.

How are you measuring Exhaust Back Pressure? Didnt know it could be.

Big engine too!

Are all your Cylinders firing? Not trying to joke.. there must be -something- going on, and unless something is amiss, like its getting into another area (blown something?) then yeah the issue might be elsewhere.

Is your IMG Intake Manifold Gasket ok? Has to be -something.- .. Vacuum?

HTH

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

That is great that the great oil M1 15W-50 sounds like it will give more Oil pressure, but the only thing i can think of is blown Head Gasket. That DOES Make pressures including Oil pressure go up.

How are you measuring Exhaust Back Pressure? Didnt know it could be.

Big engine too!

Are all your Cylinders firing? Not trying to joke.. there must be -something- going on, and unless something is amiss, like its getting into another area (blown something?) then yeah the issue might be elsewhere.

Is your IMG Intake Manifold Gasket ok? Has to be -something.- .. Vacuum?

HTH

How in the ***** is a blown head gasket going to increase oil pressure???????? There is NO connection between any of the cylinders and the oil galleries.

You're not running a catalytic converter? Oh the horror... Birds are dropping dead right out of the sky.

J/K, I'm just surprised someone hasn't had a cow over it yet..

1. Your engine cooled off while you were hollowing out the cat. When you started it back up the oil was thicker, hense the higher pressure (trick question answer)

2. Your partially plugged cat was causing your engine to run hotter, thereby thinning the oil and causing the lower pressure. Unplugging the cat caused your engine to run cooler and achieve normalized pressure (non trick question answer).

i have said this before, so please dont get mad. when useing a mechanical guage, DONT use a copper, or nylon tubing. i found if dont steel breake line tubing i have trouble. it only took one time to find out that cooper or nylon WILL cause trouble. i found its a little harder to install, but well worth the work.

Originally Posted By: morris
i have said this before, so please dont get mad. when useing a mechanical guage, DONT use a copper, or nylon tubing. i found if dont steel breake line tubing i have trouble. it only took one time to find out that cooper or nylon WILL cause trouble. i found its a little harder to install, but well worth the work.

I had an exciting adventure with Nylon (never had a problem with copper however). Nothing like having your heater box fill with Mobil 1. That was fun.

Why would oil pressure go up when you reduce exhaust back pressure? I just hollowed out my cat conv and put a short muffler and exited in front of the rear wheel greatly reducing flow restriction. My oil pressure went from 25 psi at 2k rpm to 37. What do you think? 1990 ford f250 5.8l

Did the idle RPM increase? That would account for higher oil pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back