Oil plan for 2012 Hyundai Sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Ddub
Fran Ultra would be my first pick (that's what I have in the Mazda), but it is well documented that Hyundai strongly recommends their brand of oil filter for this particular engine to avoid a clicking or knocking sound. I don't completely understand why, but I'm good with it if is a decent filter and is cost competitive, which it seems to be.
OEMs recommend their own stuff because at least they know what is put on the vehicle, and the real message is they don't want you using some cheap oil filter with a bad nitrile ADBV (startup noise if its leaky) and/or a high resistance filter media.
Fram Ultra is actually about the best in the category with a silicone ADBV, and the filter media is low resistance. Not to mention it also filters better and doesn't develop holes in the media like some do. And holds twice the dirt as paper media oil filters. .....
GM and Subaru do break from Fram's design approach with high bypass valve threshold pressure. That seems to be unique to their engines. There was another thread around here recently where we tried to estimate the differential pressure requirements of full glass/resin fiber media vs. paper media, and we suspect the paper oil filters have a tougher time handling high flow when cold & viscous without high differential pressure, but that's another story.

Originally Posted by Ddub

Fran Ultra would be my first pick (that's what I have in the Mazda), but it is well documented that Hyundai strongly recommends their brand of oil filter for this particular engine to avoid a clicking or knocking sound. I don't completely understand why, but I'm good with it if is a decent filter and is cost competitive, which it seems to be.

Switched over to Fram XG9688 on my Hyundais. (‘02 Santa Fe, ‘16 Tucson, ‘17 Elantra) Not a single one has given me issues - you can safely use any quality filter on it. Hyundai OEM is a excellent build, just very meh on the filtering aspect (and was the reason I switched to Fram XG.) WIX also is a great choice for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back