Oil pan gasket; it doesn't get simpler than this ?

Will be replacing my oil pan and possible the pickup tube after hitting a cinder block last winter.

Bought a replacement gasket and "follow the instructions" that were not inside; Felpro site no help.

Came with a RTV black which i believe is for the upper oil pan gasket (basically part of the block); this is just the pan.

What's up, what's down; any other tips appreciated; thank you.

530f06a5-0ed5-4513-8139-1e977faef62f.jpeg

166637fa-3a58-4279-a4a8-694a64a0a3a4.jpeg

Correct, the RTV is for the upper pan. If you don't want to wait 24 hours for the RTV to cure before filling with oil and driving, pick up a tube of gray Permatex Right Stuff and use that instead.

Based on the bolt pattern, that paper gasket is only going to go on one way and it'll be self-evident. It won't match if flipped over the wrong way.

You also won't need to use gasket sealant (or RTV) on the paper gasket since it has the elastomer beads on both sides.

RTV is often included and intended to be applied at joints, where two pieces of metal come together (if such a joint exists on the mating surface). If it's one solid casting where that lower oil pan slaps on, you probably don't need it.

Since the pan gasket is asymmetrical, it should be obvious which side is up, whichever way goes on correctly.

Hopefully you have watched plenty of YouTube on it. I have yet to do one that doesn’t have at least one obstruction in the way. The gasket may make it look simple but that doesn’t mean it always is. You should be able to see which part goes where. It seems the blue part would be mating on to the block but I’m not sure be sure you research it first. I usually will dab just a bit of RTV on the corners but that’s just me you should be fine either way. Read the specs for it to make sure it doesn’t call for RTV. I also know people who coat the whole gasket in the stuff and put it on so it’s really up to you probably. That stuff will get everywhere though so be careful.

Seems odd the blue bead is only on one side of the gasket; Looking @ the video, the guy uses RTV on both sides, which I'm not doing, based on the advice here and based on the fact that I've sealed differentials with a paper gasket and no RTV with no issues;

I guess I will be going paper only; thank you!

Those gaskets should work fine without RTV. Some aftermarket companies make rubber/paper/cork gaskets for applications that originally used RTV. I have one on my '96 Maxima (that originally used RTV only) whose pan is about identical size to yours. It's been leak free for a long time.

One could argue endlessly about which is better long term, but since you're under there every 5k changing oil, any seeping or evidence of the gasket going south should be easy to spot before it becomes a bigger issue.

Correct, the RTV is for the upper pan. If you don't want to wait 24 hours for the RTV to cure before filling with oil and driving, pick up a tube of gray Permatex Right Stuff and use that instead.

Based on the bolt pattern, that paper gasket is only going to go on one way and it'll be self-evident. It won't match if flipped over the wrong way.

You also won't need to use gasket sealant (or RTV) on the paper gasket since it has the elastomer beads on both sides.
You can use Gasket Sealant on the side that doesn't have the blue elastomer beads. I most recently used this on the paper water pump gasket for my v6 mustang and it hasn't leaked a drop in 6 months

Seems odd the blue bead is only on one side of the gasket; Looking @ the video, the guy uses RTV on both sides, which I'm not doing, based on the advice here and based on the fact that I've sealed differentials with a paper gasket and no RTV with no issues;

I guess I will be going paper only; thank you!
Is there a reason why you are using a gasket instead of the specified RTV? RTV seals better, lasts longer and you have to do the same cleaning anyway,.

Is there a reason why you are using a gasket instead of the specified RTV? RTV seals better, lasts longer and you have to do the same cleaning anyway,.

Is this specified by Toyota? For any metal to metal mating, I would rather use a gasket in between I will tilt a hat to you as having done more repairs than me, but a gasket for mating two totally planar surfaces is about as clean as it gets. I guess I prefer Felpro aftermarket over Toyota "assembly specification" much like I would choose Redline D6 over WS for the gear box.

Is this specified by Toyota? For any metal to metal mating, I would rather use a gasket in between I will tilt a hat to you as having done more repairs than me, but a gasket for mating two totally planar surfaces is about as clean as it gets. I guess I prefer Felpro aftermarket over Toyota "assembly specification" much like I would choose Redline D6 over WS for the gear box.
Yes, Toyota specs RTV for that surface. RTV has better conformity than any gasket.

Back