Oil Leaking from Drain Plug

Has anyone experienced this before? How did you solve it?

I've never seen it before personally, even on very old cars.

I tried re-torquing it and will check back next oil change. I will also put in a new crush washer next oil change.

I had that problem with a Subaru I sold earlier in the year. I put brakes on the car changed the oil, replaced the washer on the drain plug, and had a drip from the drain plug. I was able to pull off the shop vac trick and not lose the oil removing the drain plug. I took the plug out wrapped some Teflon tape around the threads and screwed the plug back in, leak fixed, car sold.

Note: That was the first time I ever had a problem I can remember with a drain plug leaking after an oil change. I also leave washers alone unless they show some sign of needing a replacement. Maybe I should have left that washer alone. ;)

Seems it uses washer with rubber like mine. I don't change it always, may be every 2-3 oil changes, after it starts to leak, so you know.

It's a Mazda 3 with the 2.0 Skyactiv. The car is new to me so I don't how the history of the washer.
Well, my first question is how much is it leaking? When is your next oil change? Maybe the leak will stop with your attempts to quell it, maybe it won't. Perhaps you might check it sooner just to know what's happening and what to be prepared for.

A suggestion would be to just buy a new washer, in fact, maybe a couple-three, and change 'em at every oil change.

Seems it uses washer with rubber like mine. I don't change it always, may be each 2-3 oil changes, after it stars to leak, so you know.
Why do you wait until it starts to leak to change the washer? Why not stay ahead of the situation and change it at every oil change?

It’s always like that. I’ve never met any of these other people.

My Mazda doesn’t leak at all. I replace the washer each oil change. That’s because I buy the OEM filter at the dealership and they tape the washer onto the box.
That's a good move by the dealer. Would you replace the washer at every change if the dealer didn't provide a washer?

Back