Oil leak already?

I have a 2013 Honda Accord EX (2.4L). I was about to change my cam chain tensioner when I noticed oil dripping on the ground. Where can this be coming from? I hardly hit 61k miles... Checked the oil level, seems fine. I changed the oil last week and didn't notice anything. idk if it's oil or is it coming from the boot? I made an appointment at my local Honda dealership for the recall Saturday. They said they'll take a look at it (part of the visual inspection). I really expected more from Honda. Coming from a 98 Toyota Camry (sold for $1,800 with 195k miles), not pleased with Honda at all.
133830052_1319597658376011_4880837590978720486_n.jpg
134476145_1319597718376005_6343029488257079616_n.jpg

Unfortunately, it could be quite a few things. Valve cover, cam seals (if they're external to the valve cover), timing chain cover, Vtech oil screen (read about these on the RSX). I normally see service departments degrease the engine and add dye to the oil, if the leak isn't immediately obvious. It used to be easy to see if it was valve cover, but with everything in the way now, it's very hard to tell. Sorry about your premature leak. Seems to be getting more common. The next great invention should be a valve cover design that won't leak, even if the gasket fails.

So you were going to replace the timing chain tensioner when you discovered the oil leak??

Welp, cleaned the area where there was oil. Started the car up let it get to operating temperatures and no oil leaks present. When I removed the old oil filter, that's probably how the oil got there. But, it looked like clean oil (yellow/golden color)

When in doubt, clean everything up and add a dye to the oil. But from the sound of it you should be GTG w/o needing to add any dye.

Good to hear you found the solution. I have had very good luck with Honda's.
Eh I’ve had okay luck with Honda’s. This is my first one coming from a 1998 Toyota Camry (sold it last year with 195k miles still ran like new). So far on the Honda I’ve had to replace the battery 3 years after I brought the car brand new (2013 Honda Accord EX) and then a year or two later the starter went bad at 37k miles. Now I have a rattling noise during cold starts(at 61k miles rn). Having a hard time figuring out if it’s the VTC or timing chain tensioner that’s bad.

Back