Oil for vintage Mopars

Messages
10,004
Location
Waco, TX
Originally Posted by 440Magnum
Originally Posted by Rob_Roy
Any 15w-40 HDEO will work fine in that application. No need for a synthetic.
Not needed... they lived for decades on Group II oils before I had them, after all. But after all the work I've done and the current state of the art, they're going to get synthetics anyway. No reason not to given the infrequent changes.
There is NO BENEFIT to running a synthetic in this application! NONE! None. You won't see longer engine life, better mileage, etc. etc. etc. etc. Stick with 15W-40 HDEO in the B & RB Mopar engines. There is zero reason to use a synthetic.
 
Messages
1,768
Location
NE
Run the 10W-30 Z-rod in our 440+6 runner. has the anti corrosion and rust inhibitors plus the zinc and 3.6 HTHS
 

SR5

Messages
5,906
Location
Down Under
Just for fun, this stuff is on sale in Australia right now, half price and in the big 6L jug Penrite Vantage 15W40 Semi-Synthetic - Spec API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B4, VW 502 00 / 505 00, RN 0700 / 0710 - KV40 Viscosity = 109 cSt - KV100 Viscosity = 14.8 cSt - TBN = 10.1 - Zinc = 1090 ppm Looking at the listed values of similar oils I would expect the Noack to be about 10% and the HTHS to be about 4 cP.
 
Last edited:

440Magnum

Thread starter
Messages
8,859
Location
Texas
Originally Posted by earlyre
Originally Posted by BeerCan
I used either Vavoline 15w40 or 5w40 hdeo in mine when I had it
IIRC from watching "Graveyard Carz", this is Worman's recommendation to his customers (who have just paid him well into 6 figures for a full OEM restoration)
Ugh...I'm sure that's an excellent oil, but... That guy makes me want to throw stuff at the TV almost as much as Richard Rawlings or the "street outlaws" do.
 
Messages
1,087
Location
Northern, NY
Originally Posted by 440Magnum
Originally Posted by Rob_Roy
Any 15w-40 HDEO will work fine in that application. No need for a synthetic.
Not needed... they lived for decades on Group II oils before I had them, after all. But after all the work I've done and the current state of the art, they're going to get synthetics anyway. No reason not to given the infrequent changes.
Sounds like you already know what you want to do. The Rotella 5w-40 you have been using is a fine oil, no need to switch unless you want to spend more or less money. The lower cost and slightly higher viscosity of a 15w-40 is attractive to me in this application, that is just my perspective. Nice cars btw.
 
Messages
4,889
Location
Lima, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by 440Magnum
Originally Posted by earlyre
Originally Posted by BeerCan
I used either Vavoline 15w40 or 5w40 hdeo in mine when I had it
IIRC from watching "Graveyard Carz", this is Worman's recommendation to his customers (who have just paid him well into 6 figures for a full OEM restoration)
Ugh...I'm sure that's an excellent oil, but... That guy makes me want to throw stuff at the TV almost as much as Richard Rawlings or the "street outlaws" do.
i can fully understand and appreciate that... and as annoying as his(Mark Worman) antics can be, you've gotta admit the man knows his Mopars...
 
Messages
4,889
Location
Lima, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by dave1251
There was a nothing worse than "street outlaws" the people responsible for thinking of that garbage should be dunked repeatedly into a skum pool.
Don't think he thought of it... But Rawlings now owns the street outlaws brand... 'nuff said?
 
Messages
1,775
Location
Kingston
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by 440Magnum
Originally Posted by Rob_Roy
Any 15w-40 HDEO will work fine in that application. No need for a synthetic.
Not needed... they lived for decades on Group II oils before I had them, after all. But after all the work I've done and the current state of the art, they're going to get synthetics anyway. No reason not to given the infrequent changes.
There is NO BENEFIT to running a synthetic in this application! NONE! None. You won't see longer engine life, better mileage, etc. etc. etc. etc. Stick with 15W-40 HDEO in the B & RB Mopar engines. There is zero reason to use a synthetic.
What makes you say that there is zero benefit? I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just saying I want to know why...I've been running nothing but synthetic except for maybe twice in the past 12 years and 100k miles on my used, unknown mileage junkyard 350 Oldsmobile. I'm hoping to run the engine until it's burning oil, knocking or missing. If I can save money using a 10w30 hdeo in a 4 gallon barrel I'm all for it but I don't want to give up any gains in life of the engine. I don't have time or money for a rebuild. I'm hoping for another 100k.
 
Messages
1,775
Location
Kingston
Nice cars. Have you ever watched Uncle Tony's garage on YouTube? He mostly owns and works on mopars but he does a lot of good instructional videos on topics that apply to any brand like carb tuning or rear axles, etc. I've been watching his stuff a lot lately.
 

440Magnum

Thread starter
Messages
8,859
Location
Texas
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Nice cars. Have you ever watched Uncle Tony's garage on YouTube? He mostly owns and works on mopars but he does a lot of good instructional videos on topics that apply to any brand like carb tuning or rear axles, etc. I've been watching his stuff a lot lately.
I've seen one or two of his, seems pretty good. I've been watching Nicks Garage since the beginning, but I'm afraid he's running out of fresh material, watching the dyno testing is the best part. To be honest, I've owned and worked on my own Mopars and Fords since 1977 and rarely learn much about the old ones from those shows. The new stuff (Gen3 Hemi, 8HP Trans, etc) on the other hand, I learn a ton when they cover that stuff.
 

BeerCan

$50 Site Donor
Messages
1,671
Location
FL
That R/T is awesome I just sold my GTX because I am turning into a P car junkie. I am having major sellers remorse. [Linked Image]
 
Messages
4,083
Location
Cali
Originally Posted by BeerCan
That R/T is awesome I just sold my GTX because I am turning into a P car junkie. I am having major sellers remorse. [Linked Image]
Beautiful car. cheers
 

BeerCan

$50 Site Donor
Messages
1,671
Location
FL
Originally Posted by Malo83
Originally Posted by BeerCan
That R/T is awesome I just sold my GTX because I am turning into a P car junkie. I am having major sellers remorse. [Linked Image]
Beautiful car. cheers
Thanks. I miss it for sure. I sold it so I could buy this, it helps smile [Linked Image]
 
Messages
1,775
Location
Kingston
Originally Posted by 440Magnum
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Nice cars. Have you ever watched Uncle Tony's garage on YouTube? He mostly owns and works on mopars but he does a lot of good instructional videos on topics that apply to any brand like carb tuning or rear axles, etc. I've been watching his stuff a lot lately.
I've seen one or two of his, seems pretty good. I've been watching Nicks Garage since the beginning, but I'm afraid he's running out of fresh material, watching the dyno testing is the best part. To be honest, I've owned and worked on my own Mopars and Fords since 1977 and rarely learn much about the old ones from those shows. The new stuff (Gen3 Hemi, 8HP Trans, etc) on the other hand, I learn a ton when they cover that stuff.
I have watched Nick's garage too. He rebuilt an Oldsmobile for a guy and ran it on the Dyno. I'm 36 years old, I grew up driving my 80s cars when they were just getting close to 20 years old. I can do some stuff by myself but usually I end up going to my friend's place (he's over 60 and a licensed mechanic from the days when these cars were the usual) because he has all the tools I'm missing and the experience. I'm trying to learn more by watching these older guys videos and working on my car with my friend. Nowadays there are some good YouTube channels and I found uncle Tony is trying to make things simple for beginners and mildly experienced wrenchers.
 
Messages
1,775
Location
Kingston
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by 440Magnum
Originally Posted by Rob_Roy
Any 15w-40 HDEO will work fine in that application. No need for a synthetic.
Not needed... they lived for decades on Group II oils before I had them, after all. But after all the work I've done and the current state of the art, they're going to get synthetics anyway. No reason not to given the infrequent changes.
There is NO BENEFIT to running a synthetic in this application! NONE! None. You won't see longer engine life, better mileage, etc. etc. etc. etc. Stick with 15W-40 HDEO in the B & RB Mopar engines. There is zero reason to use a synthetic.
Still waiting for your reasoning behind this. You sound very adamant and convinced so you must have some actual research or technical info to back it.
 
Last edited:

BeerCan

$50 Site Donor
Messages
1,671
Location
FL
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by 440Magnum
Originally Posted by Rob_Roy
Any 15w-40 HDEO will work fine in that application. No need for a synthetic.
Not needed... they lived for decades on Group II oils before I had them, after all. But after all the work I've done and the current state of the art, they're going to get synthetics anyway. No reason not to given the infrequent changes.
There is NO BENEFIT to running a synthetic in this application! NONE! None. You won't see longer engine life, better mileage, etc. etc. etc. etc. Stick with 15W-40 HDEO in the B & RB Mopar engines. There is zero reason to use a synthetic.
Still waiting for your reasoning behind this. You sound very adamant and convinced so you must have some actual research or technical info to back it.
Not answering for him but my reason was because carb engines fuel dilute , plus these cars typically don't get driven many miles a year and any oil I put in it now is light years ahead of what they had in the 60's. So I stuck with mineral hdeo because it was cheap and more than meets the service requirements
 
Top