Oil for two vehicles, help deciding-new memebr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, long time lurker first time poster. What I need help with is choosing ONE oil for both cars, probably in bulk when there is a good sale at walmart or rural king, those are about the only two stores I go to that sell motor oil, other than that all my purchases are online, I hate retail stores. My vehicles; 2016 Ford Fusion 2.5 non ecoboost currently has 22k bought new. My vehicle is a 2018 F150 5.0 owned since new 6000k miles on the clock.

Our driving... Mostly city driving with highway on the weekends, the truck tows every weekend, nothing super heavy, nothing over 6k lbs. I will use only Motorcraft filters on both and plan to change oil @ 5000 miles on the Fusion and 7500 on the F150 since it holds a ton of oil. I keep my vehicles for a long time and have no reason to get rid of either vehicle sooner than 12 years. My goal is 300k on the clock like both of the last two vehicles.

Without getting into a thinner or thicker debate I prefer to run 5w30 in both engines, possibly Rotella t6 5w40, maybe even a 10w30 since I read here that 10w30 usually has a more robust add pack. I want a synthetic that does not break the bank or botique oils, IE Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple ect... I prefer a more affordable, very obtainable oil at a good price. The Fusion has had Mobile Super Synthetic 5w30 and seems to be priced right and the engine is super quite and happy with it compared to the factory fill of Motorcraft 5w20. The truck had the factory dump and fill @ 1500 miles and 4000 miles I changed the oil and filter using penzoil synthetic 5w30.

So without rambling too much, for my driving style, vehicle type, length of ownership goals, climate (HOT FLORIDA) and personal choice of oil change frequency what do the BITOG gods recommend?

Not that it matters but I run RK brand 10w30 in everything else, mowers, generators, what ever is in the garage get changed once a year with RK 10w30 except my CRF450r which gets Botique oil. Its my motocross bike.

Pick the name brand with the bottle, color scheme, and branding that makes you feel best. Choose the correct viscosity as recommended in your owners manual, and choose conventional, synthetic blend, or full synthetic based on your estimated oil change interval, manufacturers recommendation, or inherent preference.

Last edited:
most any synthetic 10-30 would do IMO as most synthetics aren't a lot more than conventional. wally's super-tech would prolly do well on the cheap or any brand name that has a "special" or rebate going + a good wix aka napa gold filter

Run anything that meets your specification for your 2018 F-150 in the 2016 Fusion as well because it's Non-Ecoboost.
Lots of shelf oils that will meet this spec and will serve you just fine and are SN+

If you want something online consider Walmart or Amazon if you can get something delivered that meets the manuals Ford Oil spec for the F-150.

Last edited:
I kinda like how the Fusion has been doing with the Mobile Super Synthetic 5w30, its quite, cheap, available in 10w30 also, and get it anywhere. How is the Mobile Super Synthetic compared to some other oils within its catagory like Penzoil, Mobile 1, Edge etc....?

Your owners manuals will be the best place to find the proper specs for the oil you need. Since they are both Fords, why not run Motorcraft oil in them?

Your Ecoboost will have the more demanding requirements as far as specs go. Pick a major brand that meets the specs for your 2018 and run that oil in both.

Your cooling system will take care of the heat, whether you are in Florida or Mobile.

Originally Posted by Oily_Thing
Your owners manuals will be the best place to find the proper specs for the oil you need. Since they are both Fords, why not run Motorcraft oil in them?

Ford na motors have mostly been 5w20 for years, also what the manual says. With my whole family and just about all my friends owning ford trucks including me for as long as we have, no one has ever used 20w, and no one has had phaser and timing chain issues like the rest of the country running 20w. This is the reason I mentioned I dident want to get in a thicker or thinner debate. I really just want to cut down on my oil shelf space. right now I have one shelf for the truck, one for the fusion, dirtbikes, lawnmowers ect... its like a whole rack top to bottom with all different oils, Im tired of it. I want to have ONE oil for cars, ONE oil for the rest. I think I have narrowed it to the Mobile super synthetic 5w30 for cars, RK brand 10w30 for the rest. See, I go for livestock feed once a month to RK, I can just grab a case of 5qt jugs every once and a while and not worry about all the different types of oil I need to keep on hand. But, reading this forum for years I figured maybe someone out there is able to share another brand I havent considered yet.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I kinda like how the Fusion has been doing with the Mobile Super Synthetic 5w30, its quite, cheap, available in 10w30 also, and get it anywhere. How is the Mobile Super Synthetic compared to some other oils within its catagory like Penzoil, Mobile 1, Edge etc....?

Wait a few more weeks. Mobil typically has a $12 rebate on Mobil 1 starting in March. They do that twice a year. It works out cheaper than Super synthetic. Pepboys also has Pennzoil for sale at $20 for a 5 quart jug and Pennzoil now has a $10 rebate on it. I had a Ford Taurus that I ran to over 200k before I got rid of it. Used all different kinds of oils, mostly factory recommended 5w-20, mostly whatever was on sale. Don't overthink it.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino

Wait a few more weeks. Mobil typically has a $12 rebate on Mobil 1 starting in March. They do that twice a year. It works out cheaper than Super synthetic. Pepboys also has Pennzoil for sale at $20 for a 5 quart jug and Pennzoil now has a $10 rebate on it. I had a Ford Taurus that I ran to over 200k before I got rid of it. Used all different kinds of oils, mostly factory recommended 5w-20, mostly whatever was on sale. Don't overthink it.

good idea, wont be needing to change any oil for a while. I try to get a shopping cart full twice a year. If I can find the mobile 1 or penzoil for 20 bucks I may just need to stock up

Mobil 1 right now is about $26.68 at Walmart. So after a $12 rebate that brings it down to $14.68. But the rebate is typically for 2 months and usually in that time frame Walmart drops the price down to the $23 range at some point.

The Pennzoil rebate is going on now. If you read the thread, it's a little tricky in that you only get one $10 rebate even if you buy 2 jugs of the same oil. You'd have to buy two separate types of 5 quart oils in order to get a $20 rebate.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12819550-p...l-synthetic-or-high-mileage-motor-oil-20

I vote Quaker State Ultimate Durability Synthetic. A great oil that won't break the bank. Have been using it for years and use it in my Ford Ecoboosts.

I really like the Mobil 1 0W40 in my 2011 F150 with the 5.0. It really quietened the tick that i had at idle and I haven't seen any difference in mileage from the various 5w20 and 5w30's that I have tried. I do have 142k miles, so warranty is a non issue!

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Does RK make a synthetic 10W30?
I think that would be a great call if they do.

BTW, does anybody know if Valvoline does rebates?

They just finished one. That ended in early January. That was tied in with their Team Valvoline.

https://www.valvoline.com/promotions

Gee, IDK if you really need our help as you named off some very good oil brand choices & grades.
I may be asking you for advise next time.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Does RK make a synthetic 10W30?
I think that would be a great call if they do.

BTW, does anybody know if Valvoline does rebates?

Yes, RK makes a 10w30 synthetic, its recently been 13.99 5qt jug, I have bought in the past for 9.99 when they have sales. Their conventional I buy is usually 8.99 or 9.99 in 5qt jug. I use their 10w30 for the lawn equipment, generators and aircooled 4wheelers and my sons 2017 klx110 dirtbike.

Not sure if Valvoline has rebates. If you like Valvoline products go to Napa, their house brand is the same thing. Years ago I use to work in their distribution center I can confirm it is the SAME oil with different labeling. I use to have all the box numbers for every napa/valvoline product they carry memorized for years. It was actually the section of the distribution center I worked in for years. I can also confirm there is not much markup for oil either. I use to be able to buy at 5% above cost anything Napa carried. Oil, not much savings, but I could buy brakes for three bucks, alternators for 15-20 bucks, clutch kits, 35 bucks etc... There are huge margins in auto parts. Not so much in oil and batteries though. Also, Napa brand shocks are Monroe, period.

If you want to buy without rebates, QSUD from Walmart. Otherwise, Mobil 1 with rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back