Oil for trip to Moab, UT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, finally heading to Moab with my Heep(Jeep) and about 15-20 other friends from local clubs. The trip will be in early October.
My trail rig is a '92 Wrangler with a 2.5L four cylinder, a Muncie SM420 transmission, NP231HD 1/2ton Dodge T-case, a high pinion Dana44 front axle, XJ Waggy Dana44 rear, pushing 38x15.5 Mickey Thompson Claws.

My tow rig is a 2003 F150 5.4L ex.Cab FX4 Off Road with the tow package(tranny & oil cooler) and Visteon 9.75" rear axle.

Here's the deal:

I typically run Delo SAE30 in my Jeep for the season and change to dino 5W30 for winter. The oil currently only has about 1200 miles on it, so I'm not sure if I want to change before or after the trip. The thing is, it could get pretty cold and even though the Delo has a pour point of -24*F, I'd still like the better flow of a 5W30 at below freezing temps, especially as I'll be waking up, starting and going with little warm up time. The Delo was only $.99 a gallon, so I wouldn't feel too bad changing it out now, but I also hate wasting things.

The 5W30 oils I have in my stash are:
GTX, SuperTech, Valv white bottle, QS green, Formula Shell, Mobil C5K, and QS Torquepower & Horsepower. I typically change back to SAE30 or 10W40 in spring, but again, I hate to waste good oil and was thinking about using the Torquepower and running an OCI of a year with UOA to see how it holds up over next summer's wheeling season.

My F150 currently has about 2K miles on a run of 70/30 mix Torquepower 10W30/5W30. I estimate adding about another 1-2K miles before the trip. Moab is about a 4700-4800 mile round trip, which will put me around 8000+ miles. Should I stay with the current fill? Can QS TP handle 8K miles (mostly highway though)? I was thinking about changing to Penn yellow bottle or MC 5W20 to maximize economy. Also, FTR, I have no worries pulling a trailer with 20 weight. The 30 that's in there was next in the truck's "stash".

I appreciate your recommendations. This is going to be an awesome trip!

If only I had time to go and visit Bill......
cheers3.gif

If it was me, I'd change the oil in both rigs before the trip just for the peace of mind.

Which oil to use in your Heep? I dunno, you've got quite a few to choose from, maybe pick the one with the lowest cold pour point and use that. Although I'm not sure any of those oils listed are going to have a CP point that much lower than -24F.

I'd use 5W-20 MC in the truck, that oil has proven itself time and again.

Make sure you take plenty of pics to share when you return :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back