Oil for the "beater"........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm debating on what I should do with the "beater", aka my Cobalt.

Right now I'm running M1 5w30, which it slowly warmed up to-but now it likes. (My guess is that it cleaned out some "stuff") For the next two oil changes, I have some PP of the same flavor lined up and ready to go.

Thing is, for a beater, it's a pretty well cared for. I'm wondering if I even need a full syn for this car. I've been considering a blend, but haven't thought about dino again yet. The car does does a good amount of city driving though.

On the flip side, I'm going by the OLM for the M1, and this is probably the longest an oil has been in there....

So, what should I do? Go blend? Dino? Push the OCI with the PP? With this car, I'm just planning on saving money, so that replace the wife's car in the near future.

Your thoughts?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Right now I'm running M1 5w30, which it slowly warmed up to-but now it likes. (My guess is that it cleaned out some "stuff") For the next two oil changes, I have some PP of the same flavor lined up and ready to go.

Thing is, for a beater, it's a pretty well cared for. I'm wondering if I even need a full syn for this car. I've been considering a blend, but haven't thought about dino again yet. The car does does a good amount of city driving though.

On the flip side, I'm going by the OLM for the M1, and this is probably the longest an oil has been in there....

So, what should I do? Go blend? Dino? Push the OCI with the PP? With this car, I'm just planning on saving money, so that replace the wife's car in the near future.

Your thoughts?

I hate the OLM cause on my g/f car it forces you to use synthetic due to insane long intervals...if yours is the same then use PP and be done with it.

However, if the OLM comes on at 6k or under then use some good priced dino like MC 5000 or YB, or even MOTORCRAFT BLEND in jugs from wal-mart

ORRRRRR since it is a beater it might be a good candidate for testing the Supertech full-syn oil maybe??? Again it depends on the OLM intervals I guess

So, no LTR with this car? Go with a spec'd oil and follow the OLM. Not much else to do.

I have a 07 SS S/C cobalt im running PP in it. It seems to be a little smoother and alot quiter I ran M1 for its first 3 OCI now number 4 is PP I think ill stick with it plus its a bit cheaper at the wally world

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

So, no LTR with this car? Go with a spec'd oil and follow the OLM. Not much else to do.

LTR???

Originally Posted By: FastSUV

LTR???

+1

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
I have a 07 SS S/C cobalt im running PP in it. It seems to be a little smoother and alot quiter I ran M1 for its first 3 OCI now number 4 is PP I think ill stick with it plus its a bit cheaper at the wally world

So PP made it smoother? Interesting. It is true that it is cheaper at WM....Are you running it at OLM?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Your thoughts?

I hate the OLM cause on my g/f car it forces you to use synthetic due to insane long intervals...if yours is the same then use PP and be done with it.

However, if the OLM comes on at 6k or under then use some good priced dino like MC 5000 or YB, or even MOTORCRAFT BLEND in jugs from wal-mart

ORRRRRR since it is a beater it might be a good candidate for testing the Supertech full-syn oil maybe??? Again it depends on the OLM intervals I guess

I thought about ST too...I was hearing that it might go from 17 to 15 bucks a jug in the future..that might not be bad either. Question would be if I could run it longer than 5k. Granted, Ecotecs are easier on oil than some cars....

Here's my thinking on a beater: You're not going to be pouring over the up keep on this thing or worrying about staying on top of the maintenance and oil changes, after all... it's just a beater.

So, I would put in a decent synthetic. That way if you forget to change the oil on time (often happens with beaters) then no worries. By putting in a good synthetic, you will have a little better protection for when you beat the [censored] out of it and are driving it like you stole it. Put in a good oil so the car can actually handle the beating and neglect that most beater cars endure.

PP 5W-30 & an ST filter with OLM recommended changes.

Edit: I would use the ST if it's not an E-core model. If it is, then just use the cheapest filter with a metal core and endcaps.

LTR???

Long Term Relationship

i would go w/ super tech at 9.50 a jug w/ maybe syn once in awhile to clean out engine

If it was my beater, I'd go with a quality oil that can be had at a decent price. Since you still want synthetic, I'd go with something like NAPA synthetic, I'd wait till it's on sale then get a couple OCIs worth. If I needed to do an oil change and didn't have any on hand, I'd get whatever local quality oil was on sale that week and wouldn't think twice.

I don't feel the need to spend the cash on M1 for a beater, when you can get other quality oils that will protect the engine well, for a lower cost. But that's just my opinion.

LTR???

Long Term Relationship

Ah...I figured that was the idea...
grin2.gif

I guessing a few years...mabe more.

I forgot to add that this beater only has 50k on it.....
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
PP 5W-30 & an ST filter with OLM recommended changes.

Edit: I would use the ST if it's not an E-core model. If it is, then just use the cheapest filter with a metal core and endcaps.

Cartridge style filter in these guys..a nice cheap AC Delco (4.39) works well for this car....

I see lots of mentions of PP here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back