oil for Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to decide on an oil to run in my '01 Ranger with the 3.0 V6. While it is a little beat up and looks rough, its relatively low miles for the year,(135k) runs great and I'd like to try and get 300k out of it, if not more. Im currently running Maxlife 10W30, first oil change since Ive bought it, with a Motorcraft filter. The only thing that concerns me is that it doesnt meet Fords WSS-M2C930-A spec, which seems to be geared towards 20 grade oils. I dont want to use 20 grades in my truck, but rather a 5W30 or 10W30. Also, my year model, like alot of the other Rangers with the 3.0, has EGR, id like to use an oil that would protect against that as well. I have a check engine light on right now for EGR related codes, but it still runs fine. I was thinking of running a Dexos 5W30, would the Dexos spec be more than sufficient for my engine and the extra heat from the EGR? Thanks guys.

The oil shouldn't affect EGR - that is likely the DFPE (DPFE?) sensor. Common issue on all fords with EGR.

2001 is when Ford started specifying 5w-20 for the Vulcan engine.

Honestly - it isn't going to care either way. As long as you keep an eye on the camshaft synchronizer (it'll start squeaking from the back of the engine where the distributor would be) and don't let that shear off the oil pump drive, it's going to get to 300K regardless of what oil you run.

MaxLife 5W-30 or 5W-20, Motorcraft filters are a great value.

Don't be scared of 20 weight if that's what's recommended. All 20 weight in all my Fords, problem free.

it is the DPFE sensor. I'll have to change it soon. I had the camshaft synchro changed at my cousins shop the same day I bought it, he had the special tool to align it so I just let him do it, I usually do everything myself.

I've used 0/5/10/15w20/30/40 in my 2.3L 05 Ranger, as well as my EXs 3.0 Mazda.

Pretty much bulletproof as long as you use a API SL/SM/SN

They both seemed to like QuakerState HM 5w30 (pre Defy Formula) as well as
Havoline 10w40 (Texaco Label) and Eneos Sustina 0w20/30

For now, the oil you have chosen will be great. Out around 200K, you'll likely want to switch to Delvac or Delo400 15W-40 to quiet the motor. Made a big difference in my old Ranger that went 253K and then got sold by fleet. Still running fine
smile.gif

Using Mobil Super 5W30 in mine right now.
The 3.0 doesn't really care what oil it has in it.
This is the first time that I have put a 30W in this truck since I have owned it.
If I notice anything, it seems to be slightly quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back