Oil for New Subaru FA20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Big Dave
Interesting...how about GC or 5W-30 Pennzoil Ultra?

GC is still API SL and ILSAC GF-3, that Subaru probably takes something higher than that.

Quote:
Got 4 black Suby filters inbound. Filling with 5w-30 @ 6K miles.

Which filter does this engine take? The "160"?

Ed

Here's the description on my invoice:
4 x Oil Filter & Gasket 2011 Forester Non-Turbo (15208AA130-803916010) = $25.76

OK, that's the "130" filter. It's larger diameter than the other two subaru filters. It is identical to the filters they used before the 2006 turbo models. Purolator's look up lists the 14459 as replacement. That really isn't correct, as the 14460 has the correct by-pass pressure setting for Subaru. Maybe they discontinued the 14460? Anyway, just FYI.

Ed

Oops, too late to edit. The filter location requires an ADBV, the 14460 does not have one. The 14459 doesn't have the proper bypass setting. We're back to no aftermarket filters being exactly correct for this engine. BTW, the "160" filter is newer and smaller diameter. It is interchangeable with the "130" and Honeywell -12 filter. I'm using the 160 on my 2008 Legacy GT. Subaru could use this filter on all engines.

Ed

Pennzoil Ultra is a great oil and will keep your new engine clean. It made my Corolla 1ZZ-FE engine a little quieter on startup/idle. It's about $30 for a 5 quart Walmart jug. I have a lot of confidence with 5w20 oil. The only vehicle I used a heavier oil in was my turbo Audi (oil temp always above 220F).

Thanks for all the good info, Guys. I'm ~ halfway through a 6K mile road trip, which should put me just under the factory recommended 7.5K OCI when I send [censored] a sample. I post up the report when I get it.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Looking forward to see that!

+1. Hoping the fuel dilution isn't too bad from this DI engine.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Looking forward to see that!

Ran a couple of short distance errands with some idling prior to sampling:
86UOA1001.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.
The moly, z, and p all look a bit lower than the 5W-30 factory fill. I would expect the fuel to always be around 1% or higher. Could be the short distance driving before the uoa though. Isn't the first change supposed to be done at 3k miles? Are you running 5W-30 now?

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Thanks.
The moly, z, and p all look a bit lower than the 5W-30 factory fill. I would expect the fuel to always be around 1% or higher. Could be the short distance driving before the uoa though. Isn't the first change supposed to be done at 3k miles? Are you running 5W-30 now?

-Dennis

My manual gives the OCI of 7500 normal, 3750 severe. I've seen one other UOA on the FA20, done @ ~6K IIRC. The TBN in that report indicated a longer OCI was justified. I'm now running M1 5w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back