Oil for "new" F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a work truck tonight, 2012 F150 XLT, 151k miles, crewcab with the 3.7 V6. 302 hp stock, moves the truck well. I just need something reliable as I started a new job and didnt want to ruin my 2500 Dodge as Im working within spitting distance of the Gulf. I knew the 3.7 was a pretty reliable engine. The 5-1/2 foot bed Ill have to get used to. Of course I'm already brainstorming which oil and filter to run. Is it absolutely crucial to run 5W20 in these engines? Ive never been a fan of anything Xw20, Im considering a thin 30 wt such as Pennzoil Platinum 5W30, or Mobil 1 AFE 0W30 with a Napa Gold 7502, unless 5W20 is the ticket for this engine. I plan on having the coolant, tranny and rear axle serviced soon. Thanks for any help.

Mobil 1 Truck & SUV! It is provides extra protection for hardworking truck and SUV gasoline engines, and is designed to maximize engine performance and protection.

Mostly kidding. I run my 2012 Expedition on Mobil 1 oils, generally, but have also thrown Castrol in there when it was deeply discounted, and have run AFE once or twice. Anything in the ballpark is going to be good enough, is my basic opinion.

Personally, I have stuck to 0/5W-20 in my truck, but I'd run a 0/5W-30 without hesitation.

I don't think there is a "wrong answer" for you outside some absurd extremes.

Though, a cheaper syn-blend Chevron Supreme or Quaker State QSUD or QSAD 5W-30 would serve you well, too.

Any Synthetic 5w30 will work well. I vote Valvoline Advanced 5w30
thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't use ANYTHING in that engine unless it was based on Anchovy Oil unless you want immediate and sure failure!

Seriously though, any of the synthetics that meet manufacturer specs will be more than enough.

You certainly can go further and look for a thicker Xw20 oil or a thinner Xw30 to suit your desires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back