Oil for MB with *warm* start knock issue

I just spoke to an engineer at Red Line (Dave, (707) 751-2914). He said that the Red Line Performance Series does, in fact, meet MB 229.5 standards, as the Red Line website states (see OEM Compatibility tab).
It says "suitable for" or "Recommended for", which means that from their perspective, it's appropriate to recommend for those applications. This does not mean that it is approved or would meet the performance requirements if officially tested.
Red Line does not submit the Performance Series to MB (only its Pro Series), so that's why it doesn't appear on the official MB 229.5 list. Submitting the oil to MB would drive up the cost prohibitively.
Think about that statement for a moment. Their cheaper oil, the Redline Professional series, is officially approved, but their significantly more expensive oil, the old white bottle Performance series, would be "prohibitively expensive" to approve. Take all the time you need.

The old white bottle oil has absolutely no manufacturer approvals, which is fine, it's an oil blended in a manner that would prevent it from obtaining them, having very high levels of certain additives, but that's the reason, not that the approvals are expensive. CP has lots of money, if it would aide in increasing sales of the white bottle product, they'd have no problem pursuing them. It's a formula that hasn't changed in probably several decades at this point and isn't compliant with modern emissions standards and additive limits, that's why it isn't approved.
Dave also said the Performance Series contains only Class IV & V base oils (not Class III like many other major "synthetic" manufacturers).
Yes, it's common knowledge on here that the white bottle oil is a predominantly PAO-based product with a good slug of POE in it.
In Europe, anything containing Class III can't be labeled "synthetic."
Nope. In Germany the oil must be at least 75% Group IV/V to be labelled synthetic (vollsynthetisches). The rest of the world, that rule doesn't apply. Even then, there can be a percentage of Group III or Group II in the blend.
Those other oils for half price never mention how much Class III they contain! Also, the NOAK number published by Red Line is indeed ASTM D5800 and it blows away Mobil 1, Pennzsoil and the others.
Yet the other oils managed to make their way through the "prohibitively expensive" approval processes :unsure: Yes, Redline white bottle has a very low Noack, but then so does M1 0w-40 (8.8%), Ravenol SSL 0w-40 (8.5%) and Ravenol's Euro 5w-30, which has ALL the actual OEM approvals and a Noack of 6.4%.
I don't know about you, but I'm only using Red Line from now on. I don't care if it's twice as expensive!
Well, guess we can shut the board down now since you've solved it.

I just spoke to an engineer at Red Line (Dave, (707) 751-2914). He said that the Red Line Performance Series does, in fact, meet MB 229.5 standards, as the Red Line website states (see OEM Compatibility tab). Red Line does not submit the Performance Series to MB (only its Pro Series), so that's why it doesn't appear on the official MB 229.5 list. Submitting the oil to MB would drive up the cost prohibitively. Dave also said the Performance Series contains only Class IV & V base oils (not Class III like many other major "synthetic" manufacturers). In Europe, anything containing Class III can't be labeled "synthetic." Those other oils for half price never mention how much Class III they contain! Also, the NOAK number published by Red Line is indeed ASTM D5800 and it blows away Mobil 1, Pennzsoil and the others.

I don't know about you, but I'm only using Red Line from now on. I don't care if it's twice as expensive!
I think you're going a little overboard. What does it mean when it's a better oil? How much longer will the engine last? It's usually not engine failure that causes you to get rid of a car. Usually other more expensive items go like the transmission or the car falls apart, rust etc and it has nothing to do with what oil you use.

It says "suitable for" or "Recommended for", which means that from their perspective, it's appropriate to recommend for those applications. This does not mean that it is approved or would meet the performance requirements if officially tested.

Think about that statement for a moment. Their cheaper oil, the Redline Professional series, is officially approved, but their significantly more expensive oil, the old white bottle Performance series, would be "prohibitively expensive" to approve. Take all the time you need.

The old white bottle oil has absolutely no manufacturer approvals, which is fine, it's an oil blended in a manner that would prevent it from obtaining them, having very high levels of certain additives, but that's the reason, not that the approvals are expensive. CP has lots of money, if it would aide in increasing sales of the white bottle product, they'd have no problem pursuing them. It's a formula that hasn't changed in probably several decades at this point and isn't compliant with modern emissions standards and additive limits, that's why it isn't approved.

Yes, it's common knowledge on here that the white bottle oil is a predominantly PAO-based product with a good slug of POE in it.

Nope. In Germany the oil must be at least 75% Group IV/V to be labelled synthetic (vollsynthetisches). The rest of the world, that rule doesn't apply. Even then, there can be a percentage of Group III or Group II in the blend.

Yet the other oils managed to make their way through the "prohibitively expensive" approval processes :unsure: Yes, Redline white bottle has a very low Noack, but then so does M1 0w-40 (8.8%), Ravenol SSL 0w-40 (8.5%) and Ravenol's Euro 5w-30, which has ALL the actual OEM approvals and a Noack of 6.4%.

Well, guess we can shut the board down now since you've solved it.
Not to belabor the issue, but you really have no idea how much it costs an oil company to submit to the MB 229.5 process, do you? I have heard that the MB standards process was started by Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway, and so there may be the possibility that the whole process is a racket to squeeze out competition from smaller companies. If that is the case, if it is really expensive, than you are paying the big guys just to be on the MB list, and the those manufacturers cut corners to make up the difference. You cannot definitely say, about Red Line,

"it's an oil blended in a manner that would prevent it from obtaining them [MB standards], having very high levels of certain additives, but that's the reason, not that the approvals are expensive."

You don't work at Red Line, you don't know their finances, you're not one of their engineers. If, as you say, "In Germany the oil must be at least 75% Group IV/V to be labelled synthetic (vollsynthetisches)," then it is theoretically possible for a company like Mobil 1 to have up to 25% Group II or III. The engineer at Red Line assured me their Performance Series has no such base oils, only 100% Group IV/V. It would be very brazen, with liability issues, for Red Line to state publicly on their website that it meets MB 229.5, when it does not. I therefore am willing to believe their engineer's explanation for not officially obtaining MB 229.5 classification.

Red Line Performance is twice as expensive, per quart, as Mobil 1. It is quite possible the added expense is going into better base oil, not the MB 229.5 approval process. After all, the NOACK is much lower than Mobil 1 0W-40 (6 vs. 8.8), which indicates a better, more stable base oil.

Not to belabor the issue, but you really have no idea how much it costs an oil company to submit to the MB 229.5 process, do you?
So let me get this straight, a small company that can't afford to submit an oil for approval yet charges twice as much as a large oil company with approval? So you're basically saying they're either too cheap to pay for approval or it doesn't meet spec? They should cough up the buck like everyone else.

So let me get this straight, a small company that can't afford to submit an oil for approval yet charges twice as much as a large oil company with approval? So you're basically saying they're either too cheap to pay for approval or it doesn't meet spec? They should cough up the buck like everyone else.

I think you've missed the point. I'm paying for the oil, not the approval.

I think you've missed the point. I'm paying for the oil, not the approval.
I think you missed the point. The manufacturer of the oil is too cheap to pay for approval yet wants double what others are charging. It would be nice to know that I don't just have to take their word for it, it's been approved by the car manufacturer.

Not to belabor the issue, but you really have no idea how much it costs an oil company to submit to the MB 229.5 process, do you?
I'm 100% sure you don't.
I have heard that the MB standards process was started by Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway, and so there may be the possibility that the whole process is a racket to squeeze out competition from smaller companies. If that is the case, if it is really expensive, than you are paying the big guys just to be on the MB list, and the those manufacturers cut corners to make up the difference. You cannot definitely say, about Red Line,
You do know that Redline is owned by Conoco-Phillips right? One of the largest oil companies in the world. The point that they sell a cheaper product that carries the official approval seems to have flown right over your head, I implore you to sit on that a bit more.
"it's an oil blended in a manner that would prevent it from obtaining them [MB standards], having very high levels of certain additives, but that's the reason, not that the approvals are expensive."

You don't work at Red Line, you don't know their finances, you're not one of their engineers.
Conoco-Phillips is a publicly traded company. Their NET revenue for 2019 was $7.189 BILLION dollars, I'm pretty sure that if they can afford to approve the cheap black bottle product, they could do the white bottle one if it can pass the testing.
If, as you say, "In Germany the oil must be at least 75% Group IV/V to be labelled synthetic (vollsynthetisches)," then it is theoretically possible for a company like Mobil 1 to have up to 25% Group II or III.
No, it's not, because >15% of the product is comprised of the additive package and VII polymers.
The engineer at Red Line assured me their Performance Series has no such base oils, only 100% Group IV/V. It would be very brazen, with liability issues, for Red Line to state publicly on their website that it meets MB 229.5, when it does not.
It doesn't. It states it is RECOMMENDED FOR MB229.5, show me specifically where it states that it is approved. It doesn't, because it isn't. There's absolutely nothing preventing a blender that chooses not to pursue a certification from recommending a product for applications that call for that certification.
I therefore am willing to believe their engineer's explanation for not officially obtaining MB 229.5 classification.
I think you took what Dave said to you totally out of context or simply didn't understand what he was saying. Based on the exchange in this thread, I'd wager either are equally likely.
Red Line Performance is twice as expensive, per quart, as Mobil 1. It is quite possible the added expense is going into better base oil, not the MB 229.5 approval process. After all, the NOACK is much lower than Mobil 1 0W-40 (6 vs. 8.8), which indicates a better, more stable base oil.
It indicates a lower spread, which is the same reason Ravenol 5w-30, which is formally approved and less expensive than Redline, has a Noack of 6.4%. Getting wound-up over 2% on the Noack test when the strictest industry limit is 10% is ridiculous.

Ravenol SSL, also formally approved, and PAO-based, has a Noack of 8.5%, because it has the same spread as M1 0w-40, being a 0w-40.

I think you missed the point. The manufacturer of the oil is too cheap to pay for approval yet wants double what others are charging. It would be nice to know that I don't just have to take their word for it, it's been approved by the car manufacturer.
Good point. There really is no way to know if I'm being ripped off. I'm just looking for the best quality 5W-30.

Last edited:
I'm 100% sure you don't.

You do know that Redline is owned by Conoco-Phillips right? One of the largest oil companies in the world. The point that they sell a cheaper product that carries the official approval seems to have flown right over your head, I implore you to sit on that a bit more.

Conoco-Phillips is a publicly traded company. Their NET revenue for 2019 was $7.189 BILLION dollars, I'm pretty sure that if they can afford to approve the cheap black bottle product, they could do the white bottle one if it can pass the testing.

No, it's not, because >15% of the product is comprised of the additive package and VII polymers.

It doesn't. It states it is RECOMMENDED FOR MB229.5, show me specifically where it states that it is approved. It doesn't, because it isn't. There's absolutely nothing preventing a blender that chooses not to pursue a certification from recommending a product for applications that call for that certification.

I think you took what Dave said to you totally out of context or simply didn't understand what he was saying. Based on the exchange in this thread, I'd wager either are equally likely.

It indicates a lower spread, which is the same reason Ravenol 5w-30, which is formally approved and less expensive than Redline, has a Noack of 6.4%. Getting wound-up over 2% on the Noack test when the strictest industry limit is 10% is ridiculous.

Ravenol SSL, also formally approved, and PAO-based, has a Noack of 8.5%, because it has the same spread as M1 0w-40, being a 0w-40.
All good points. Do you know where I can buy the Ravenol RSP 5W-30 in America? I just can't seem to find a supplier, even on the Ravenol USA website. The SSL is 0W-40 and I want 5W-30. The Ravenol HCL comes in 5W0-30, but it's NOACK is 9.3 (compared to Red Line's 6).

Nothing flew over my head, that's my point exactly. Red Line's cheaper product (Pro Series) may have the official MB 229.5 approval, but is an inferior product to the non-approved High Performance Series. They took a MB 229.5 oil, improved it, and didn't bother to summit it to MB for approval due to the added expense.

Good point. There really is no way to know if I'm being ripped off. I'm just looking for the best quality 5W-30.
To what end? What's the evidence that using the best quality oil will actually make your car last longer? What good is having an engine in perfect shape if the rest of the car falls apart?

As for my point, to make it crystal clear, I don't want to support a company that's too cheap to pay for an approval or is selling a product that doesn't actually meet spec. That's why I quoted Reservoir Dogs, they need to cough up a buck like everyone else, those cheap bastards.

Nothing flew over my head, that's my point exactly.
Yeah, you're too fast.

Nothing flew over my head, that's my point exactly. Red Line's cheaper product (Pro Series) may have the official MB 229.5 approval, but is an inferior product to the non-approved High Performance Series. They took a MB 229.5 oil, improved it, and didn't bother to summit it to MB for approval due to the added expense.

Incorrect. The Redline 5w-30 is a VERY old formula, blended for racing and street use. It was never "targeted" at any of the Euro certs, it is just recommended for them because the viscosity is appropriate (HTHS >=3.5cP) and it is has high levels of AW additives. One of the things the Euro oils all require is extended drain capability. It's a part of their testing/approval process and based on the UOA's we've seen on here, Redline white bottle is not a good oil for extended drains. It's highly unlikely it would pass that testing, which is fine, it's not claiming to be an extended drain oil, but the problem is that many of the applications it is recommended for are, but since there are no formal approvals, just recommendations, that's not a real risk for them.

Your original argument was that Redline couldn't afford to pursue the certification. I've soundly torpedoed that nonsense, so now you are shifting your argument and claiming that the oil is "too good" for MB 229.5 while simultaneously claiming that your original claim wasn't completely out to lunch. This is because you had no idea CP owned Redline until I mentioned it. Rather than ceding that, you've just decided to shift your argument. Quite unfortunate.

All good points. Do you know where I can buy the Ravenol RSP 5W-30 in America? I just can't seem to find a supplier, even on the Ravenol USA website. The SSL is 0W-40 and I want 5W-30. The Ravenol HCL comes in 5W0-30, but it's NOACK is 9.3 (compared to Red Line's 6).
RSP? I was referring to the VMP oil, which is a mid-SAPS Euro 5w-30 with the appropriate HTHS:

Which is 229.51, Porsche C30 and BMW LL-04.

All of their LL-01/A40 oils are xW-40's, like VST 5w-40:

They offer very few legacy 229.5 oils because it's an old spec.

You can buy the VMP product from Blauparts:

Which is where I've recently bought my Ravenol.

Alright, RSP is out of stock at Blauparts.

Same with REP (MB 229.51, MB 229.52; that's what I'd recommend if available):

However RUP 5W-40 (MB 229.51) is very similar in formulation to REP and just barely thicker:

I agree on that VMP (again MB 229.51) is an appropriate replacement.

I run REP on two of my cars, with VMP alternatingly on one of them (just because it's VW 504 00 approved).

Remember REP, RUP and RSP do come with Tungsten, while VMP doesn't. Anyway, similar base oil quality as
RL Performance Series, but comes with actual approvals.

Last edited:
Sorry, but your Ravenol link is for diesel engines, MB-Approval 229.51. Mine is for gasoline engines, MB 229.5. My initial point still stands, that this MB approval process has become ridiculous. So long as I use a top-grade 5w-30 synthetic, like Red Line Performance, the official MB Approval is unnecessary.

...this MB approval process has become ridiculous....
Totally bogus.
Look at the Bevo lists. Many small companies get their oils approved by Mercedes.

They took a MB 229.5 oil, improved it, and didn't bother to summit it to MB for approval due to the added expense.
Do you have documentation to support either part of this statement? No advertising or "My cousin's girlfriend's dog said so".

Back