Oil for golf cart

I just bought a new Yamaha G-29 gas powered golf cart. The MFg says go 10 hours and change the oil. Recomended is 10-30, I will use it for the first oil change and go to synthetic after. Thinking of using a 10-40 HM because of the hot summers here in Florida and because the syn runs a bit thinner. just not sure about the high mileage. I'm told it wont bother it. Yamaha does'nt reccomend syn, but they did'nt for the outboards and I ran it in mine for 10 years with no problems. Ant thoughts? Thanks.

From what I read Yamaha has a splash oil system and not an oil pump to lubricate the engine, someone else may explain how that could make a difference in oil recommendation. If I just paid mid to high 4 figures for a brand new cart I'd be motivated to follow mfg's recommendations at least through the warranty period.

Used to use a couple of EZ-GO carts at the ski area I used to work at. So they'd be in service all summer long for golf duty, then we kept them around for use in the winter - on that old oil. The only time I ever thought about it is when the oil light would remain on for 20 seconds or so when running it below 0F. I dumped the gooey, black tar and replaced it with some clean bulk 10-30. The oil light went back to turning off once the engine popped off. These engines are pretty bulletproof.

Back