Oil for Generac GP2500I

I bought a GP2500I today and I asked the guy what oil was recommended . He told me straight 30 weight . I thought that was kind of odd but when I looked in the manual straight 30 weight was ok for the temperature range that I would use it in . He gave me a quart of Kawasaki branded SAE 30 so I guess that's what I'll use when the time comes to change it . Any thoughts ?

The guy is correct. Mono Viscosity of 30 is appropriate for OPE. If the Generator doesn't leave your area (LA) then it will work great. However, As an example I live in MO & travel all seasons so my onboard Onan gen in my RV currently has 10w-30 Mobil EP FS since I see below freezing regularly in the winters a 30 will be quite thick & harder to start.

Since i see 5w-40 in your signature you might as well steal just a wee bit from the jug. It's a small gen that states just 0.36 quarts and that psd has a 4 gal sump. It won't realize it's missing that amount which went in the generator instead.

Since i see 5w-40 in your signature you might as well steal just a wee bit from the jug. It's a small gen that states just 0.36 quarts and that psd has a 4 gal sump. It won't realize it's missing that amount which went in the generator instead.
I've thought about doing that but the Mobil rebate was too hard to resist (Non Delvac rebate). Plan on running 15w-40 next though (leftovers from the bulk oil). Mine takes 1 qt.

I've thought about doing that but the Mobil rebate was too hard to resist (Non Delvac rebate). Plan on running 15w-40 next though (leftovers from the bulk oil). Mine takes 1 qt.
I've used Delvac 1300 15w-40 during the Texas winter storm in my chonda gen. Pulled the stick on the gen and the oil didn't feel thick or have any tackyness. Though 28f isn't that cold but it's an ice age down here to us.

I've used Delvac 1300 15w-40 during the Texas winter storm in my chonda gen. Pulled the stick on the gen and the oil didn't feel thick or have any tackyness. Though 28f isn't that cold but it's an ice age down here to us.
I've been wintering down in the RIO grand area for the last 3yrs (think Harlingen). Anyways, The cold snap you all had & the crazy electricity system you have (rolling blackouts) made me appreciate the reliability I have in MO. Anyways, I still joke around about a fella I overheard walking out of walmart & he had a shiver in his speech saying "It's cold". But it was just into the 50's so it was just sweater weather to me. But we all know when you're used to it then it can be hard on you. My first "Winter" lol down there blew my mind. Never thought I could be wearing t shirt & shorts, any day, little lone most of the winter. I'm forever a "winter Texan" for as long as I can roam. 😀

Everyone clearing the shelves at walmart for a 28 degree dip had me laughing for quite some time still. Still can't believe it.

Fun Fact:
While visiting your state of TX it appears there is some differing view points on which one is the "Pan handle" portion. I've always thought of that part to the North but visiting down south there were several I ran into that mentioned it as if it's their portion in the South.

I've been wintering down in the RIO grand area for the last 3yrs (think Harlingen). Anyways, The cold snap you all had & the crazy electricity system you have (rolling blackouts) made me appreciate the reliability I have in MO. Anyways, I still joke around about a fella I overheard walking out of walmart & he had a shiver in his speech saying "It's cold". But it was just into the 50's so it was just sweater weather to me. But we all know when you're used to it then it can be hard on you. My first "Winter" lol down there blew my mind. Never thought I could be wearing t shirt & shorts, any day, little lone most of the winter. I'm forever a "winter Texan" for as long as I can roam. 😀

Everyone clearing the shelves at walmart for a 28 degree dip had me laughing for quite some time still. Still can't believe it.

Fun Fact:
While visiting your state of TX it appears there is some differing view points on which one is the "Pan handle" portion. I've always thought of that part to the North but visiting down south there were several I ran into that mentioned it as if it's their portion in the South.
Panhandle is north - the coldest - and on another electric grid …
I have lived near Houston since 1996 with less than 8 hours net power loss - (short interruptions) really none since I have multi fuel gens and heat …

It's really hard to beat 0W-40 for air cooled Gennies.

It's cheap and easy to find at places like wallyworld.

I've been wintering down in the RIO grand area for the last 3yrs (think Harlingen). Anyways, The cold snap you all had & the crazy electricity system you have (rolling blackouts) made me appreciate the reliability I have in MO. Anyways, I still joke around about a fella I overheard walking out of walmart & he had a shiver in his speech saying "It's cold". But it was just into the 50's so it was just sweater weather to me. But we all know when you're used to it then it can be hard on you. My first "Winter" lol down there blew my mind. Never thought I could be wearing t shirt & shorts, any day, little lone most of the winter. I'm forever a winter Texan for as long as I can roam. 😀

Fun Fact:
Yeah it's funny like that. Our systems aren't winterized because it costs tons more to do that and the expected value for the investment is really poor given the extremely rare probability. If i were in charge i too would forgo the high expense to be honest, It's just too unlikely to happen. We've never had the entire state be under a winter storm warning. But it wasn't an issue. I also decided to fill up all my trucks since i know they'll burn about a half gallon an hour at idle after the first half hour just generating heat and electricity.

Yeah it's funny like that. Our systems aren't winterized because it costs tons more to do that and the expected value for the investment is really poor given the extremely rare probability. If i were in charge i too would forgo the high expense to be honest, It's just too unlikely to happen. We've never had the entire state be under a winter storm warning. But it wasn't an issue. I also decided to fill up all my trucks since i know they'll burn about a half gallon an hour at idle after the first half hour just generating heat and electricity.
It's because it's one of the highest population states & the electrical grid has not kept up IMO.

As for Onan branded generators I'll let you all in on a secret. Cummins owns Onan & We all know Cummins endorses Valvoline so Onan Generator oil is 15w-40 valvoline oil that's in the bottle.

It's because it's one of the highest population states & the electrical grid has not kept up IMO.

As for Onan branded generators I'll let you all in on a secret. Cummins owns Onan & We all know Cummins endorses Valvoline so Onan Generator oil is 15w-40 valvoline oil that's in the bottle.
Had no idea about that.

I have a WEN and plan to run SAE30 or 15W40 conventional in 25 hour intervals as recommended in my chonda manual. Conventional holds contaminants in suspension better so I have read here, so given there is no oil filter this seems like a good option to me.

Last edited:
I have a WEN and plan to run SAE30 or 15W40 conventional in 25 hour intervals as recommended in my chonda manual. Conventional holds contaminants in suspension better so I have read here, so given there is no oil filter this seems like a good option to me.
I guess that throws synthetic oils keeping engines cleaner out the window. 😜

On a serious note, I don't buy that argument, synthetic keeps engines cleaner period so use a synthetic if you want to. Another benefit is it prevents oil breaking down in temperature extremes. See how that would prevent debris right there?

Right now Ive been using Mobil 1 10w-30 20k mile Annual Protection (Super tech has a version too.) In 15 hours of runtime it dropped oil level a very small pinch maybe not quite an 1/8 inch so it's not burning off very fast either.

I haven’t seen an answer, but are the calcium levels in a 0w40 okay for a propane engine? (I realize your generator could either be natural gas or propane.)
I don't know but don't know why not. Mine is propane. Right now Castrol 0-40 is in it.

Back