Oil for gasoline tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where to post this so I'll try here.

I have a 1941 John Deere Model A tractor. It is the all-fuel model, meaning it was designed to run on kerosene, distillates, gasoline, whatever. I mostly use gasoline for convenience.

Is modern 10W-30 dino oil suitable for this tractor? I put less than 20 hours per year on it. I have always run straight 30wt in it but was thinking that it may be easier to crank with 10-30.
Joe

I have a A, D and MC and run 15w40 in all of them. The D runs well on oil when you run it out of gas while using the PTO and can't run fast enough to shut it off. Really hard to restart after it does that, but creates large plums of smoke
grin.gif

10w30 will work fine, these are really not all that sensitive to oil grade. I do change the oil frequently.

On a side note, I've never tried running my D on diesel, it's also an All Fuel. I don't know how it could create enough heat, might have to try just once and see what happens.

Most of these had oil filters, but I don't know all of differant iterations that JD had over the years on these two cyls.

It does have an oil filter, an internal canister type, not a spin-on.

This tractor has no electrics on it except the magneto. You start it by spinning the flywheel by hand, no wimps need apply! Even in the springtime it can be 40º F in the early mornings here in northern Idaho and the 30 wt oil gets noticeably more difficult to spin the engine. I don't put enough hours on it to really be worth using synthetic so thought the multi-vis would be helpful. What about 5w-30?

1040 WreckerMan,
I have used kerosene in my "A", diesel works too but it helps if you add about 10% gasoline to help ignite it. Mostly I use gas because it is more convenient. If your "D" has the original type equipment it will run low-octane fuel just fine, especially if you are pulling a steady load.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back