Oil for Cold starting diesels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had researched various 10w30 oils for my Cummins before settling on PetroCan Duron SHP semi synthetic. Its cost at the bulk dealer in little 4 liter jugs was better than Rotella T5 but a bit more than Motomaster (rebadged Citgo). Its cold flow properties were also better than those two oils and a few conventional 10w30 oils I also ran into.

Originally Posted By: ofelas
I run Amsoil’s stout HDD 5w30 year round in Canada and the SE US.

Yes, that should handle most of it!

BrianF: In case you ever wondered, the E6 5w-30 options I've seen also all had the Cummins spec.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
In SE BC, I would pass on the 5w40s and go for either 0w40 or 0w30. Those mountain top coal mines can be -40 and windy.

Unless one is having to let the truck sit overnight and cold start at -40, not sure using a 0wXX is really worth it unless the cost is similar. When I lived in cold country (Alaska), if a vehicle was going to sit in the cold overnight, it had a oil sump warming pad on it that keep the oil warm when I had the block heater plugged in.

I still do that down here in the lower 48, and even in the Dakotas in the winter I only use a 10w30. Oil pan warmers are relatively inexpensive and do a great job.

Thanks Garak, I had checked out a few of those E6 options, they carried the CES 20081 spec and SN. I think it is a great option I am thinking about to convert to a single oil for mixed fleet (the 6.7 and my Trailblazer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back