Oil for a ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 03 EB expedition it has the 5.4 in it. Looking through the manual it recommends 5w-20 that mets Fords wss-m2c153-h spec. My other ford list 5w-30 for it and it is only 2 years older.
What is this spec.
I use 5w-30 Mobil1 in my other ford and they do not make a 5w-20.
Seeing that the manual only states that 5w-20 is recommended wouldn't any oil that meets this ford spec be fine to use.
IS it only 5w-20 that meet this spec or is there a 5w-30 or other oil that meets this spec of Fords

quote:

Originally posted by BTW574:
I just bought a 03 EB expedition it has the 5.4 in it. Looking through the manual it recommends 5w-20 that mets Fords wss-m2c153-h spec. My other ford list 5w-30 for it and it is only 2 years older.
What is this spec.
I use 5w-30 Mobil1 in my other ford and they do not make a 5w-20.
Seeing that the manual only states that 5w-20 is recommended wouldn't any oil that meets this ford spec be fine to use.
IS it only 5w-20 that meet this spec or is there a 5w-30 or other oil that meets this spec of Fords

Ford owner's manuals state in bold letters, "SAE 5W-20 oil provides optimum fuel economy and durability performance meeting all requirements for your vehicle's engine.

According to Mike Riley, product design engineer with Ford Motor Company, "Moving to 5W-20 was driven by using best technology oils, CAFE requirements and customer needs." The company believes the switch to lighte viscosity 5W-20 oils will reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 190,000 metric tons a year and reduce U.S. fuel consumption by over 21 million gallons a year.

In order to ensure lighter viscosity 5W-20 oils don't sacrifice engine durability, Ford ran extensive field tests comparing 5W-20 and 5W-30 oils and used the data to create their own oil specification known as WSS-M2C153-H, which includes all ILSAC (GF-3) requirements, as well as a longer ASTM Sequence III Test

That's directly from the Amsoil site.

Basically, 5w-20 was driven by the desire to increase CAFE (corporate average fuel economy).

I have no doubt Ford did extensive tests on the 5w-20 to prove it could lubricate properly, but there's no reason you can't run 5w-30.

Except...just run 5w-20 till your engine warranty expires.

Ford Spec WSS-M2C153-H requires the oil to meet ILSAC GF3 requirements and in addition, the oil should pass the double length (128 min.) ASTM Sequence III test

[ March 12, 2003, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Justin ]

Essentially the way the new spec was written, it requires the use of 5w20.

Note however, there were no documented changes in the engines that would madate the use of 5w20 over 5w30. Ford is using the lighter oil to meet CAFE requirements. It was tested by Ford and is recommended for use in many engines.

Some on this board (and others) are completely opposed to using 5w20 oil on the grounds its too thin and won't provide as good of wear protection. So far, oil analysis results are showing good results.

If it were me, I'd run the 5w20 for at least while I was under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back