New Ford recommendation -- 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil faster to the camshaft has been debunked already IMO. A normal OHC has buckets under the cam that ALWAYS have oil in them. ANY time the engine turns, the cam is getting oil. And the AW adds have already plated up so they are protecting for that split second on startup. THere is no such thing as a dry start.
Engines should self destruct in winter if fast flow is so important to wear. Even a 10w30 is over 10,000 cP @ 0F !! And whats the visc at operating temp. And what's the vis of a "thick" oil at operating temp. Very small difference.

I switched my '99 F150 over to 5w20 from 5w30 at 85,000 miles. No change in oil consumption and the UOA shows the wear to be equal or better than the 5w30 (which to placate Metroplex, was also was a so-called synthetic blend, when both oils are Group II-Group III blends).

I swtiched my '97 F150 over to 5w20 at 160,000 miles, but sold it before it was time for a UOA. No issues with consumption.

This fear of thin oils is overblown, IMHO.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
PLEASE compare synth blend 5W-30 to 5W-20 and/or full synth 5W-30 to 5W-20.

the cheapest 5W-20s are ALL synthetic blends. Do not compare dino 5W-30 to synth blend 5W-20.

That's just the thing. Motorcraft (and others) 5W-20 can be found on sale for as little as $1/qt. 5W-30 synthetic blends are usually $2/qt. In my case it's a choice between $1/qt non-synthetic 5W-30 and $1/qt synthetic blend 5W-20. My thinking is that for same price I can get an oil that has slightly better base, higher TBN, etc.

quote:

Why compare when they are not the same price. 5W-30 Syn Blend cost me a $1.00 more per Qt. I can get 5W-20 syn blend for the same price as 5W-30 dino. Looks like a bargain to me. I understand what you are saying, but if I can get better oil (albeit thinner) for the same price and my UOA's are as good or better then why not?

Monogradeboy just bought a case of petro canuck 5W20 yesterday. Expensive, $3.05/liter C$, or about $2.00/USD/US qt.
I wouldn't be surprised if the product was mostly group III.

quote:

This fear of thin oils is overblown, IMHO.

Absolutely. There are those that think they know more then the engineers that design cars/lubes.
wink.gif

I highly doubt Honda would use an oil that could potentially cause problems with their engines. Ford is another story.
grin.gif
Steve Bergin seems to be more correct with each passing UOA.
However, it's important to realize that while 20wts have their place, they are not to be used for every engine out there.

[ October 10, 2003, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

the cheapest 5W-20s are ALL synthetic blends. Do not compare dino 5W-30 to synth blend 5W-20.

I don't think OHC need anything thinner then a 30wt oil. MR2 running a 50wt? No thanks. I'd get as good or better peroformance with a well built 30wt or even a 20wt possible. There is a comparison with an Acura RSX using Mobil 1 0w-20 and 5w-30 and wear numbers are identical.
wink.gif

There are some 5W-20 motor oils that have actually tested better in VOAs and UOAs then 5W-30 oils.

I think thinner oils are better as long as they provide adequate engine protection. But as an engine ages in might require a thicker oil, or thicker oil might also be better in certain circumstances, such as very hot weather in the summertime.

JohnnyG and some others have freezer tested some oils and it is interesting that some conventional motor oils flow as well in the cold as some synthetics. JohnnyG tested a 10W-30 Mobil Drive Clean conventional motor oil that flowed almost as good as a synthetic oil. Seems to me that an oil that will flow very well in the cold would be more likely to provide adequate protection at start-up not just in cold weather but even in hot weather. Remember, it was a 10W-30 that he tested. The 5W-30 Mobil Drive Clean should have performed even better.

quote:

The reason why Ford is going to a lighter oil is partially due to the over head cam motors. The thinner the oil the faster it gets to the camshaft. The only way to really blow an overcam motor is to rev it when it is cold when there is no oil to lubricate is. Also the misconception of heavier oil being better is over. Lighter weight oil in most cases is better.
I don't disagree, but on my 2002 Ranger the book calls for 5w-20 on the 3.0 OHV engine and 5w-30 on the 4.0 SOHC (which I have). I dunno.

Interesting how Honda only recommends 5w-40 synthetic in all their engines in Japan and Europe, while recommending 5w-20 (this has now changed to 0w-20) in many of their North American cars. I'm sure that Ford does the same thing with their European cars.

How much is public perception, CAFE and engine longetivity?

Is passing WSS-M2C153-H with a 20wt better than failing with a 30 or 40wt oil?

Fear is definitely overblown. We been brainwashed by thick oils protection. Maybe we're too thickheaded.

20wt oils have their place. And if oil temp/pressure/flow/volume.... is kept in check, then there should be no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back