Oil for a 27 HP Kohler

Hi everyone, I have a 27 HP Kohler Courage engine on a Country Clipper zero turn Mower. I've been using SAE 30W oil for years now. I'd like to switch to a synthetic, which oil would you guys recommend?

From a quick google search, your owners manual calls for a 10w-30 or 10w-40 rated API SL or higher.

If you're wanting to run a full synthetic,c Choices for a full synthetic 10w-40 are pretty limited, at least for passenger car motor oils. 10w-30 would probably be easier to find. Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State, Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Supertech would all fit the bill in regular and high-mileage varieties. It'll be hard to find any of these rated lower than API SN unless you find some really old stock as we're currently on API SP.

With current oil standards being so strict, it's hard to make a bad choice unless you get some cheapo-depot unknown brand oil. There will be some small variance in viscosity and additives, but the end result will be good no matter what. In my opinion, it's far more important to use quality air and oil filters.

How hots it getting?
Even in Canada it might get a bit hot for an oil that ends with 30. You could use an oil that ends in 40 and be fine.
I would use synthetic dirt bike and motorcycle oils, they're a 40 weight oil, made for air cooled engine and have a bunch of anti wear additives and detergents.
Mobil1, Castrol and Valvoline have budget friendly synthetic 10w-40 oils like that.
I run 20w-50 in my riding mower but I mow knee high grass as fast as the mower will do it so that little engine is running wide open throttle and the oil is getting up around 300f.
As long as you're not beating your mower like it's rental you shouldn't need 20w-50.

In my JD Zero Turn I normally use Rotella T6 5W30 Multi Vehicle. This year I used Total Quartz 5W40 and I truly believe --- at least in my head -- it runs quieter. My vote is for a 40 weight synthetic.

Mobil 1, MX4t, 10W-40 motorcycle oil for its high ZDDP content and incredible resistance to shearing. Probably the most robust choice of any commonly available oil.

You could safely use Shell Rotella T6, 5W-40 synthetic also. It is a very high quality oil, commonly available and priced right. I use it in my Kawasaki powered JD garden tractor. 22 years now!

I've used Schaeffers, Amsoil, Royal Purple HPS in our riding lawnmower with no oil burn off,etc.

Amsoil 0w40 4 stroke, otherwise all of the rest were 5w30

In my JD Zero Turn I normally use Rotella T6 5W30 Multi Vehicle. This year I used Total Quartz 5W40 and I truly believe --- at least in my head -- it runs quieter.
Be careful saying things like that . Some people around here get triggered . :p

Back