Oil for a 1979 Ford Pinto?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Wasn't that around the time that news came out that 10w40 was not a good oil to run? There was a general switch back to 30 grade.

Right. GM had a terrible time with 10w-40 and sludge in their engines, cam wear problems, spun bearings and warranty claims and condemned 10w-40.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by PimTac
Wasn't that around the time that news came out that 10w40 was not a good oil to run? There was a general switch back to 30 grade.

Right. GM had a terrible time with 10w-40 and sludge in their engines, cam wear problems, spun bearings and warranty claims and condemned 10w-40.

Yep I remember that time frame then. 10w40 was the standard for most cars and suddenly it was no good. A lot of engines sludged up back then.

Then again a lot of automotive stuff was happening in that era and a lot of it was not good.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Some got rid of it and tried a strange new 5w20 way back when …

I don't remember the "strange new 5w-20" outside of Mobil1 that was quickly changed to 5w-30 but I do remember the strange new 5w-30 that came out about that time!

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Valvoline VR1 10W-30, affordable, high ZDDP, can't go wrong with that.

Ah yeah, an $8 a quart racing oil for a 1979 Ford Pinto. Right.

Why not Red LIne at $12 a quart? Wouldn't that be more better?

I mean, you couldn't go wrong with that either.

8$ a quart, really?
Here in Spain it's half of that.

I bought some recently to try it out, but I shouldn't have. It cost me double what Mobil 1 on sale would be. I think I'm going to save it for when I finally do a camshaft upgrade to my 350 Olds. These vehicles are fine with most anything with a stock smog era peanut sized camshaft.

My first car was a 1980 with the 2.3 engine.

I used 10w30 all the time. The engine was an oil burner....about 1 quart per month.

Beat the heck out of that car and engine, but it kept going. Keep an eye on the timing belt.

Back