Oil for '92 Corvette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy of mine picked up a very nice 1992 Corvette yesterday to replace his crashed Saab (he's from PA and now in Houston....can finally have a summer car).

Not sure if the GM Corvette performance spec goes back that far as a requirement, but should he use an oil that is GM4718M or should it matter? He will see mostly highway with some hot-weather traffic and the occasional autocross.

Thanks!

'92 is not really all that long ago.
Yes use GM4718 oil.
Though really any name brand syn would probably work.

The 1992 model year was the first year the factory fill on the LT1 engine was 5W-30 Mobil 1. I would stick with Mobil 1 or any other synthetic that is GM4718M approved.

(BTW, as soon as the factory fill for the 1992 models became Mobil 1, I switched over my 1989 Corvette to Mobil 1, and it's still going strong at 238K miles.)

I'd use GC in it. Patmans 'Vette showed GREAT results on this oil. Its out of warranty, so you don't have to worry about strictly running something that meets 4718M.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd use GC in it. Patmans 'Vette showed GREAT results on this oil. Its out of warranty, so you don't have to worry about strictly running something that meets 4718M.

+1!

Ended up going with the Castrol EDGE 10w-30 on clearance, with a Fram XG filter and a bottle of Gumout Regain as a "new car gift" package....$39 and change with tax, not too shabby. He likes the car, it needs a little bit of interior work, etc. but is overall good. A bit of gear whine and a noisy throw-out bearing, we'll change to Pennzoil Synchromesh and diff oils next week as well.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
Ended up going with the Castrol EDGE 10w-30 on clearance, with a Fram XG filter and a bottle of Gumout Regain as a "new car gift" package....$39 and change with tax, not too shabby. He likes the car, it needs a little bit of interior work, etc. but is overall good. A bit of gear whine and a noisy throw-out bearing, we'll change to Pennzoil Synchromesh and diff oils next week as well.

You seriously gave him an orange can of death?
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

spankme2.gif

He gave him the XG(extended guard)fram thats actually black, that doesnt have cardboard ends and has a semi synthetic filtering media and a wire mesh behind the media so it can be used for extended drains. Very well made but also pricey.

I also have a 92... Specs are very strong on the Mobil 1 HM 10w-30,, I change it once a year. Prior service records are all M1.. under the valve covers is spotless. Looks BRAND NEW,, no varnish with 102K miles

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

spankme2.gif

He gave him the XG(extended guard)fram thats actually black, that doesn't have cardboard ends and has a semi synthetic filtering media and a wire mesh behind the media so it can be used for extended drains. Very well made but also pricey.

What he said, to take your spanking back
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: TenSecondZ2
I also have a 92... Specs are very strong on the Mobil 1 HM 10w-30,, I change it once a year. Prior service records are all M1.. under the valve covers is spotless. Looks BRAND NEW,, no varnish with 102K miles

have any UOAs for it? I have 174K on my LT1 and it looks spotless too. Even the oil pan was spotless when I changed it.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back