Oil for 330i BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

I'm UK based and have recently purchased a 2006 BMW 330i with 130k miles.

Any advice on which oil I should go for please? Due to the higher miles, I have been advised on 5w30 rather than 0w30. Is this the correct option?

Also, which brand and exact spec should I go for? I have read very good things of the German Castrol oil. However, I am unsure on how to identify such oil in the UK as there seem to be several variations. I have been advised to ensure the spec includes LL-01 or LL-04.

If it helps, I will only be covering about 3-4k miles a year. Mostly local, short journeys but also occasional longer drives out of town 1-2 hours.

Really looking forward to the replies and advice. My friend is telling me to just stick in any 0w or 5w30 oil but I want to ensure I go for a quality oil
smile.gif

Many thanks!

In the US this vehicle remained spec'd for LL01 because until recently the sulphur levels in our petrol were too high to run LL04.

Technically the vehicle can run any 0w30, 5w30, 0w40, 5w40 that is either A3/B4 or C3. (HTHS 3.5 or above)

Personally for your climate and expected miles I'd run the cheapest 5w30 or 0w30 in either LL01 (A3/B4) or LL04 (C3) and change the oil annually.

Last edited:
Look for any oil that carries approval of BMW LL01 or LL04. I'd be looking at one of the following...

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40
Castrol Edge 0w40 A3/B4
Castrol Edge 0w30 Dexos2
Mobil1 FS 0w40
Mobil1 ESP 5w30
Fuchs Titan XTL GT1 5w40
Amsoil Euro Car Formula 5w40

Last edited:
If OP is going too change annually at only 4K miles I see no need for the high overbase LL01 spec. Just as the detergent is leveling out [censored] be dumping the oil.

Likely any good petrol A3/B4 5w30 synthetic should do the trick.

Thanks for all the swift responses, really appreciate it!
laugh.gif

I have narrowed it down to the following, in preference order:

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 - https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/...engine-oils/?521771861&1&cc5_247
Shell Helix Ultra Professional AM-L 5W-30 - https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/...engine-oils/?521772271&1&cc5_247
Shell Helix Ultra ECT C3 5W-30 - https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/...engine-oils/?521774551&1&cc5_247

ECP offer a discount code so it'll work out around half-price. Leaning more towards the Mobil 1, its my first year with the car. I have just recently learnt the previous owner ran similar types of oil so I will maintain that.

I have heard various reasons on not to bother with an engine flush/cleaner when doing the oil change. Presuming this is good advice so should just stick with decent oil?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
If OP is going too change annually at only 4K miles I see no need for the high overbase LL01 spec. Just as the detergent is leveling out [censored] be dumping the oil.

Likely any good petrol A3/B4 5w30 synthetic should do the trick.

In the UK the cheapest branded A3/B4 synthetic is usually Shell Helix Ultra 5w40.

Also, the mileage the OP is going is going to come under severe, so it's worth getting a quality known synthetic in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Mika98
Hi all!

I'm UK based and have recently purchased a 2006 BMW 330i with 130k miles.

Any advice on which oil I should go for please? Due to the higher miles, I have been advised on 5w30 rather than 0w30. Is this the correct option?

Also, which brand and exact spec should I go for? I have read very good things of the German Castrol oil. However, I am unsure on how to identify such oil in the UK as there seem to be several variations. I have been advised to ensure the spec includes LL-01 or LL-04.

If it helps, I will only be covering about 3-4k miles a year. Mostly local, short journeys but also occasional longer drives out of town 1-2 hours.

Really looking forward to the replies and advice. My friend is telling me to just stick in any 0w or 5w30 oil but I want to ensure I go for a quality oil
smile.gif

Many thanks!

Anything LL01 or LL04.
Whoever gave you advice about 0W30 vs. 5W30, do not listen them again! Both will have similar KV at 100c.
Since you are in UK< and if you want best, get this:
Castrol 0W30 C3 pds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back