BMW oil specs

I've been out of touch with BMW's changing oil specs after I got rid of my 328i seven years ago.
Three weeks ago I bought a 2018 BMW X1 xDrive with only 21800km or 13500 miles for my wife.
As any BITOG member would do, I checked the owners manual for the oil spec. They recommend
0w20 LL-14FE for North America. Anywhere else it's 5w30/5w40. I can also use 0W30 LL-01 FE+ .
Over in the VOA section someone posted a sample of the 0w30 LL 01 FE+. BMW oil.
Well, to me it looks like any other 5w30 SP Dexos 1 GEN2 oil. BMW switched to Castrol again for
North America and this sample had Titanium in it. When warranty runs out, do you all think I can
use any 5w30 Dexos1 GEN2 oil? The viscosity difference is small. ie) 9.92 @ 100C for the BMW 0w30
vs 10 to 10.5 for any Dexos oil.

About 6 yrs ago BMW moved it's fleet in North America to sub 3.5 HTHS oils hence the LL01FE (3.2 HTHS) and the 20w oils which are spec'd for the B-series engines (I4/I6). Note that the crankshaft of the B-series engines comes with a special coating and specifically designed to be used with 20w oils / stop-start but you can also use the LL01FE and the LL01. In addition BMW updated the specifications in 2018 to address timing chain wear and oxidation.

Canadian Tire has several options for LL-01/LL-04 oils, they are only a few bucks more than regular API oils and go on sale regularly. I like Mobil 1 ESP 5w30.

Hmmm, I guess you are right, they must have taken it off. I know BMW recently updated approvals.

They also have Pennzoil Euro 5w30, which is LL-04. Goes on sale about $32 a jug once a month.
No Mobil1 is approved for BMW specs. except Super3000.
M1 are a bit high in oxidation for BMW taste.

Depending on how wifey drives it, I’d bump up to a 5w30 without blinking twice. 0w20 is a joke in anything other then a naturally aspirated econo box with a super efficient little engine. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Depending on how wifey drives it, I’d bump up to a 5w30 without blinking twice. 0w20 is a joke in anything other then a naturally aspirated econo box with a super efficient little engine. 🤷🏻‍♂️
LOL. Wifey drives like a senior citizen. Actually, she is a senior citizen. Ha,ha. Lots of short trips when she does drive.
We will only be putting on about 10,000 km or 6,000 miles in a year. I'll be taking it out on the highway a few times a week though.
I've been watching a number of videos with this engine and people use regular 0w20, 5w30 Dexos 1 oil instead of BMW LL oil .

Back