Oil for 2008 F-250 6.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Ford F-250 w/ the 6.4L Diesel engine. I currently have 10k and have changed the oil once at 5k. I am ready for the next change and would like some recommendations on which oil. I have not seen much in regards to the 6.4L to get an idea on which oils work better. BTW, the truck has no DPF filter, thus regens and fuel dilution related to regens are no longer an issue for me. The truck holds 15 qts. and is speced for 15w40 or 5w40 from Ford.

My driving consists of regular commuting to work in North Dallas for about 25 miles each way. I also use it for regular errands around the house, etc. I typically will put about 1000 miles per month straight highway and will tow about 200 miles per month at about 7500 lbs. I will occasionally pull my 5th wheel which weighs about 11k.

I live in Texas and see temps over 100 on a regular basis and temps down into the teens during the winter. I am leaning towards a 5w40 synthetic and would really like to run Shaeffers 9000 for this. I do need to find a way to buy it though as there are no distributors within an hours drive from me and I haven't found anybody who wants to sell 4 or even 8 gallons at a time.

Thanks in Advance!

My advice, for what it's worth, is to use Shell Rotella T 5w40 and call it a day. If you want a less expensive oil, Motorcraft 15w40 will work well, as will almost any other 15w40 on the market. Choices, choices......

Sounds good. I'll try the Shell Rotella 5W40. I am hoping the 5W40 will work OK with 10k changes. Ford specs 5k changes for severe and 10k for normal service. I think I am in the middle, but dont' have the DPF to deal with anymore. I'll plan on running a 10k change and then send in a sample to see where its at.

Thanks,
JS

Rotella is excellent stuff, but if you really want Shaffers there is a Napa here in Dallas that stocks it. They may be able to order it for you as the guy who runs the store does aftermarket parts and sales also.

I dont want to advertise, but Shaffers is a site sponsor.

Coppell Texas 75019
You can find it on the store locator if you google NAPA, I know they carry alot of 10w30, but not sure of the heavier stuff.
Either way you are in good hands.

Well, I realize there are several places I can drive to, but were talking 45 min there and back and with a four kids at home, I either need something closer to me or I would like to be able to just order it. Either way... I have looked at the Shaffers website and at the local dealers.

Well, I am not totally sure just yet. It has been about 1000 miles since I pulled it, but I have made so many changes that I can't provide concrete numbers just yet.

Overall, I think I have picked up about 2mpg over stock w/ the regens. I have towed 7500 lbs w/ this setup for about 250 of those miles, and the towing mileage is definately much higher.

With all that said, I am averaging about 15mpg with mixed city/highway driving right now. Highway mileage is about 17 - 18mpg. I am hopeful that this will improve with more miles on the engine. I am at 10k right now.

I have a 2006 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 and I have been using Schaeffer Supreme 7000 15w-40 for a year now and I think it is a great oil. My used oil analysis have the best numbers with Schaeffer oil. I would call Schaeffer and have them ship the oil to your house. I use the 15w-40 in the summer and switch to the 9000 5w-40 in the winter. I hope this is helpful, good luck.

Last edited:
Contact "salesrep" a site supporter and Schaeffer rep. He can fix you up with what you need, sent to your door. And you'll be supporting a site sponsor
cool.gif

Whimsey

I wouldn't use a syn if you are going to change the oil at 5,000 mile oil change intervals, Don't need it and there will really be no advantages to use it .

I've purchased 4 gallons of Rotella Syn 5w40. I'll run 10k on this change and send in a sample.

Did you also have the EGR disabled or recalibrated?
If not you might want to have the oil analysed to make sure TBN doesn't get depleted by running it too long with a CI4+ oil.

Originally Posted By: Rabbler
Did you also have the EGR disabled or recalibrated?
If not you might want to have the oil analysed to make sure TBN doesn't get depleted by running it too long with a CI4+ oil.

Please explain your thoughts...

Any tuner worth their salt and smart enough to disable the DPF system would almost definitely set the egr to 0% under all throttle and load conditions.

Now I wish the aftermarket would support tuning and DPF disablement for the 2010 Cummins ISX 565's so I could trade off my 06 C-15 cat.

The new emission regulated diesel have higher EGR flow rates compared to the earlier engines.
The higher EGR rates can cause the oil to get acidic much faster than previously. The new CJ-4 oils are supposed to be better at tolerating the higher EGR.

Depending on how the OP defeated the factory DPF this could be an issue.

There are cheaper way to remove and defeat the factory system, (Reprogramming the engine controller being the best)but some guys are retaining the factory programming and simply using a device to fool the factory pressure sensors (or ecm)to thinking the DPF is still installed. In this case the factory EGR could overwhelm a CI+ oil.

The EGR system is not "blocked" off, but is disabled, per the tuner. I am running a Spartan tuner w/ the 210hp tune. It has the saftey measures to defuel if necessary. It also recalibrates the transmission shifting. So far, I am very happy with the setup. I have about 11k on the truck with the last 2500 miles tuned. My mileage is up about 2mpg overall and is comparable to the Duramax I had previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back