Oil for 1990 GM 3.1L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a 1990 Cavalier Z24 with the 3.1L engine.
I know nothing about the maintenance history of it. Other than it had a new GM crate engine installed about 100K miles ago. The inside of the engine is fairly clean (just by peeking in the oil fill).
I'm pretty sure it has flat lifters(correct me if im wrong). So what would be a good oil to use it.
I typically use Pennzoil YB or Plat. 5w30 in my other cars with AC Delco or Wix oil filters.

Originally Posted By: crazycrak
I'm pretty sure it has flat lifters(correct me if im wrong).

That's correct. Flat tappets on your Generation II engine.

Balls just got cut off the Quaker State Defy.

Pennzoil High Mileage 5w 30 or just PYB conventional. Mobil Super 5k High Mileage or conventional too since they are cheaper. Pennzoil High Mileage and the Mobil Super High Mileage are both blends.

As long as it is ACDelco PF52, but not the e-core junk. I use the Wix filters myself on my 3.1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigD1
Balls just got cut off the Quaker State Defy.

"Balls?" Do superfluous zinc levels equate to "balls" now?

I'd stay with your regular PYB and AC/Delco or Wix.

I have a Chevy Lumina with the 3.1 and that combination has worked fine through 127,000 miles.

I'd recommend you change the coolant ASAP.

Flush and get the Dex-cool out of the engine.

I lost a intake manifold gasket at 107,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I'd stay with your regular PYB and AC/Delco or Wix.

I have a Chevy Lumina with the 3.1 and that combination has worked fine through 127,000 miles.

I'd recommend you change the coolant ASAP.

Flush and get the Dex-cool out of the engine.

I lost a intake manifold gasket at 107,000 miles.

It's a 1990, he shouldn't have had DexCool to begin with, unless it was put in later.

PYB or Platinum 5W-30 are both awesome. Keep on keepin' on.

I would recommend servicing the cooling system just because it was notorious for being too low of a capacity to handle the engine. It was recommended never to tow anything with that car for exactly that reason.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
"Balls?" Do superfluous zinc levels equate to "balls" now?

Superfluous? With that reasoning you are saying it had too much ZDDP? I thought higher levels of ZDDP and cheap cost was the exact reason people bought it.

I'd use the cheapest 5W-30 or 10W-30 I could find. SuperTech at Walmart is fine. It's a 25 year old beater, just keep it topped off.

Driven hard but properly maintained our 92 went over 420k. 3.1s are awesome. 5/10w30 and dont worry about it.

I love those Z24s! I had an 86 and an 88 that I drove the wheels off of and even though they were severely underpowered, they were a good road trip car.

Any current SN rated 5 or 10W-30 will fit the bill, along with any basic level filter. These 60° V6s don't need anything special.

Got any pics that you can post?
20.gif

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I love those Z24s! I had an 86 and an 88 that I drove the wheels off of and even though they were severely underpowered, they were a good road trip car.

Any current SN rated 5 or 10W-30 will fit the bill, along with any basic level filter. These 60° V6s don't need anything special.

Got any pics that you can post?
20.gif

My first Z but I've wanted one since I was a little boy. My first car was a base 88 Cavalier and loved it. I finally found this one a couple weeks ago.

The only pic I currently have (bringing it home):
FullSizeRender3.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back