oil flow problem with pure one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
It must depend on the application.
I get oil pressure instantly when I start my Honda, and I don't get any valvetrain noise like clatter from running dry etc.
I use the PureONE PL14610.

Me as well on the above.

Originally Posted By: jdmstr22
Originally Posted By: FZ1
The only change was the slower flowing oil.

I guess the visco change was just enough to do it

+1...Agree

Next OC....go back to 5w20 and a PureOne....and I'm guessing everything will be OK.

Have used PureOne's for over 5 years on my 03'Focus. Never had a problem. Although I recently changed over to a Fram ULTRA...so I can do two 7500 OC's on one filter. Seems the Ultra is solidly built, and uses synthetic media....and its reasonably priced as well ($8.97 at WM).

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: FZ1
The only change was the slower flowing oil.

I guess the visco change was just enough to do it

+1...Agree

Next OC....go back to 5w20 and a PureOne....and I'm guessing everything will be OK.

Have used PureOne's for over 5 years on my 03'Focus. Never had a problem. Although I recently changed over to a Fram ULTRA...so I can do two 7500 OC's on one filter. Seems the Ultra is solidly built, and uses synthetic media....and its reasonably priced as well ($8.97 at WM).

+1 i agree ive used pure ones in the past with 5W20 full syn with no problems. But its cheaper to dumpbthe filter and gp woth an oe than dump all my oil. Ill switch back in 3k and see what happens.

Hyundai OEM filters are very well built and reasonably priced. No reason to buy anything else and lots of reasons not to.

I also tried an aftermarket cabin air in my Hyundai, and noticed reduced air flow. The aftermarket filter was of a different, thicker material.

After that experience, I have a new practice, OEM filters only, no matter what we drive.

Let me know how the Hyundai oil filter works in a Honda as I plan to use the filter in my CRV when my current stash of Pure1's gets used up.

Hyundai filters are better than p1's in every phase of the game. those of you that have GEMA motors in your chryslers or mitsubishis can use them too.
They are made by Dongwoo, a subsidiary of the Mann and Bosch partnership that owns Purolator. They offer thread end bypass and silicone ADBV.
As far as asian OEM's go, they are the Motorcraft of the bunch.

Originally Posted By: salv
Hyundai filters are better than p1's in every phase of the game. those of you that have GEMA motors in your chryslers or mitsubishis can use them too.
They are made by Dongwoo, a subsidiary of the Mann and Bosch partnership that owns Purolator. They offer thread end bypass and silicone ADBV.
As far as asian OEM's go, they are the Motorcraft of the bunch.

+1 there solid, i notice the silicon adbv and that the rubber gasket is tapered unlike any aftermarkets ive seen and there is more holes in the mesh for the oil to pass through the filter.

Quote:
Is the pureone really that restrictive?

The answer is no. The linked (and much posted thread) shows the P1 flow rate, it's excellent. As mentioned you did change the oil viscosity also this time, so it being the filter alone here is inconclusive. Fwiw, I've used many PL14610, PL14459, and PL10241 on non H/K vehicles with no noise issue. That said, it seems that some Hyun/Kia with spin on filters are more prone to a start up noise. If you're satisfied with the H/K OEM filter that's what you should use, though I would take the stealer with a grain of salt.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=116457&Number=1619451

Quote:
Hyundai filters are better...........They offer thread end bypass ...

Really? Can you cite a source for the Hyundai "thread end bypass" claim. Hyundai's own promotional oil filter information shows using them using dome end bypass, same as P1.

I have to guess that the problem is caused by leakdown of the filter from not sealing well at the anti backflow valve. Even silicone ABFVs can fail to seal on occasion and require the galleries to be filled before the lifters see any fresh oil.

Has anyone ever had a flow problem with this filter. I've used it before on my sonata with no issues but changed my oil today and used control 5W30 dino and a pureone and after I started my engine I notice valve noise that I've never had before. So I called the dealer to ask if there's been issues with after market filters in my application before they said its definently the filter so I changed to a OE hyundai filter And boom noise is gone!

Was this a one time occurrence just after doing the oil & filter change, or was it repeating the start-up noise every time you started it after the initial start-up after the oil & filter change? Like others have said, if the start-up noise was after the car sat for a while, it could be the ADBV wasn't sealing 100% and caused the filter to empty. Some cars are sensitive to empty filters, and some are not.

My personal hypothesis is that the bypass valve in the OEM filter opens at a lower PSI than other filters of its size, which is why most of the noise is produced at start-up.

I plan on cutting open the filter I have on my KIA now, when it comes time, and comparing it to an aftermarket filter. I'll see if I can rig up a force gauge to measure how much force is needed to open the bypass valve.

I have been using Pure one PL14459 on my 2011 Sonata since new. It now has 27k miles with OCI approx. 5-6k miles. I have not had any problems with startup noise at any time using 5w-20 syn. oils. (Mostly NAPA syn. or QSUD) The stealer wanted to know why there was no oil sticker and I told them I perform all my maintainance. I got the lecture about Hyundai oil filters at which point I walked away. FWIW--Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Has anyone ever had a flow problem with this filter. I've used it before on my sonata with no issues but changed my oil today and used control 5W30 dino and a pureone and after I started my engine I notice valve noise that I've never had before. So I called the dealer to ask if there's been issues with after market filters in my application before they said its definently the filter so I changed to a OE hyundai filter And boom noise is gone!

Was this a one time occurrence just after doing the oil & filter change, or was it repeating the start-up noise every time you started it after the initial start-up after the oil & filter change? Like others have said, if the start-up noise was after the car sat for a while, it could be the ADBV wasn't sealing 100% and caused the filter to empty. Some cars are sensitive to empty filters, and some are not.

No not a one time occurrence did it since the filter was put on.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
I have been using Pure one PL14459 on my 2011 Sonata since new. It now has 27k miles with OCI approx. 5-6k miles. I have not had any problems with startup noise at any time using 5w-20 syn. oils. (Mostly NAPA syn. or QSUD) The stealer wanted to know why there was no oil sticker and I told them I perform all my maintainance. I got the lecture about Hyundai oil filters at which point I walked away. FWIW--Oldtommy

I always used 5W20 with pure one never had startup noise until I went with 5W30

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy

Lecture? Guess at that point I'd tell the stealer to talk to the hand.

Or I might ask him if using an aftermarket filter voids the warranty. If he said yes, I'd follow with I'll take your Hyundai OEM free of charge.

Ehh, probably better off just walking away.

i dont use the p1 for two reasons first i think there is a flow problem with some of them i also hear "noises" with them and when they first changed i did not like the sandy stuff that used to flake off of them ...However i use the classic when i dont have my size at the shop which is a purolator under another name for $2.00
As long as we get them for $2.00 we will keep using them when the prices go up we stop using them and my distributor Knows this

Very interesting, as I am very reluctant to use non OEM oil filters. I do sometimes use non OEM air and fuel filters but not oil filters, as there have been a number of similar problems over the years with different engines. The OEM filters only cost a few dollars more in most cases, so it's not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back